What Is The Cause Of Growth In Regional Trade: Trade Liberalization Or Rta'S? The Case Of Agriculture
AbstractThis paper delves into the debate on the proliferation of regional trade arrangements by focusing on bilateral agricultural trade data over the 1962-1995 period for countries that currently are members of NAFTA, Mercosur, the EU and APEC. Agricultural is chosen because it has historically been protected by developed and dis-protected by developing nations, while in the case of the EU, its Common Agricultural Policy was the major policy jointly managed and funded by member countries. We suggest that the literature has tended to focus on factors explaining the level of trade, and neglected factors affecting growth in trade. While neighborhood characteristics affect neighborhood trade, they also appear to affect the policy regimes of neighboring countries. The shift to more outward oriented regimes is thus likely to induce a dynamic in trade among neighboring countries requiring several years to stabilize. As neighborhood trade grows, it is natural to form trade arrangements so as to harmonize policies and to remove other barriers. If this is the case, then we should expect the growth in intra regional trade to exceed growth in extra-regional trade, and these patterns should occur before the formation of regional trade arrangements. Our results support this explanation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium in its series Working Papers with number 14605.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
International trade; Regional trade arrangements; Agricultural trade; International Relations/Trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Xinshen Diao & Terry Roe & Agapi Somwaru, 2001. "What is the Cause of Growth in Regional Trade: Trade Liberalisation or RTAs? The Case of Agriculture," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 51-79, 01.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexis Jacquemin & André Sapir, 1988.
"European integration or world integration?,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 124(1), pages 127-139, March.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- repec:fth:eeccco:94 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 1999.
"Trade liberalization and regional integration: the search for large numbers,"
TMD discussion papers
34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and regional integration: the search for large numbers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 46(4), December.
- Paul Krugman, 1995. "Growing World Trade: Causes and Consequences," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 327-377.
- André Sapir, 1992.
"Regional integration in Europe,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8200, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Arnade, Carlos & Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry, 1997. "Agricultural competitiveness: The case of the United States and major EU countries," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(2), pages 99-109, May.
- Ernesto Stein & Jeffrey Frankel, 1994. "The welfare implications of continental trading blocs in a model with transport costs," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 94-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Fernandez, Raquel & Portes, Jonathan, 1998. "Returns to Regionalism: An Analysis of Nontraditional Gains from Regional Trade Agreements," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 197-220, May.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1998. "The New Regionalism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1149-61, July.
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp374, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry L. & Somwaru, Agapi, 2006.
"Exchange Rates, Foreign Income, and U.S. Agriculture,"
6686, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Roe, Terry L. & Shane, Mathew & Somwaru, Agapi, 2006. "Exchange Rates, Foreign Income and U.S. Agriculture," Bulletins 12975, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Sampath Jayasinghe & Rakhal Sarker, 2004. "Effects of Regional Trade Agreements on Trade in Agrifood Products: Evidence from Gravity Modeling Using Disaggregated Data," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp374, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Doan, Darcie & Goldstein, Andrew & Zahniser, Steven & Vollrath, Thomas L. & Bolling, H. Christine, 2004. "North American Integration In Agriculture: A Survey Paper," North American Agrifood Integration: Situation and Perspectives, May 2004, Cancun, Mexico 16730, Farm Foundation.
- Shane, Mathew & Roe, Terry L. & Somwaru, Agapi, 2008. "Exchange Rates, Foreign Income, and U.S. Agricultural Exports," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(2), October.
- Colyer, Dale, 2001. "Impacts Of Nafta On U.S.-Mexico Agricultural Trade," Conference Papers 19105, West Virginia University, Department of Agricultural Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.