The relationship between individual and household measures of WTP and WTA
AbstractThe article defines measures of individual and household willingness to pay (and to accept) in a general and flexible framework. It completely clarifies the relationship between the household measures and the sum of the individual welfare measures (the aggregate measures) which are in general different. The aggregate measures form only an upper bound for the corresponding household measures. The bounds (based on the information about individual measures) can be tightened by introducing additional assumptions about the decision process within the household. The results derived prove helpful for the theoretical analysis of household behavior, for the evaluation of nonmarket goods in environmental and public economics and for contingent valuation. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 40 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992.
"Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994. "Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994.
"Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
DELTA Working Papers
94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Apps,Patricia & Rees,Ray, 2009.
"Public Economics and the Household,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521716284.
- Slivinski, Alan D, 1987. "The Normative Characterization of Aggregate Consumers' Surplus Measures," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 559-81, October.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- Orazio Attanasio & ValÃ©rie Lechene, 2002.
"Tests of Income Pooling in Household Decisions,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(4), pages 720-748, October.
- Dasgupta, Dipankar & Itaya, Jun-ichi, 1992. "Comparative Statics for the Private Provision of Public Goods in a Conjectural Variations Model with Heterogeneous Agents," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 47(1), pages 17-31.
- Munro, Alistair, 2005. "Household willingness to pay equals individual willingness to pay if and only if the household income pools," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-230, August.
- Valerie Lechene & Martin Browning, 2004.
"Collective and unitary models: a clarification,"
Economics Series Working Papers
191, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cornes,Richard, 1992. "Duality and Modern Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521336017.
- Udo Ebert & Patrick Moyes, 2004.
"Household Decisions and Equivalence Scales,"
IDEP Working Papers
0404, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France.
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Jon Strand, 2004.
"Public-Good Valuation and Intrafamily Allocation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1351, CESifo Group Munich.
- Strand, Jon, 2003. "Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation," Memorandum 28/2002, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Strand, Jon, 2009. "Public-good valuation and intrafamily allocation," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2003:20, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Ebert, Udo, 2010. "Household willingness to pay and income pooling: A comment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 7-9, April.
- Phipps, S.A. & Burton, P.S., 1992.
"What's Mine is Yours?: The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
92-12, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Phipps, Shelley A & Burton, Peter S, 1998. "What's Mine Is Yours? The Influence of Male and Female Incomes on Patterns of Household Expenditure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 65(260), pages 599-613, November.
- John Quiggin, 1998. "Individual and Household Willingness to Pay for Public Goods," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 58-63.
- Ebert, Udo, 1987. "Axiomatic foundations of Hicksian measures of welfare change," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 115-124, June.
- Donaldson, David, 1992. "On The Aggregation Of Money Measures Of Well-Being In Applied Welfare Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(01), July.
- Hanemann, W Michael, 1991. "Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept: How Much Can They Differ?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 635-47, June.
- Konrad, Kai A & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1995. " Family Policy with Non-cooperative Families," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 581-601, December.
- Pollak, Robert A., 1981. "The social cost of living index," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 311-336, June.
- Wiktor Adamowicz & Mark Dickie & Shelby Gerking & Marcella Veronesi & David Zinner, 2013. "Household Decision-Making and Valuation of Environmental Health Risks to Parents and their Children," NCEE Working Paper Series 201306, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Dec 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.