Rubinstein bargaining with two-sided outside options
AbstractIn this note we show that if in the standard Rubinstein model both players are allowed to leave the negotiation after a rejection, in which case they obtain a payoff of zero, then there exist a continuum of subgame-perfect equilibrium outcomes, including some which involve significant delay. We also fully characterize the case in which, upon quitting, the players can take an outside option of positive value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Note: Received: February 27, 1996; revised version: March 28, 1997
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ester Camiña & Nicolás Porteiro, 2007.
"The Role of Mediation in Peacemaking and Peacekeeping Negotiations,"
07.05, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Camiña, Ester & Porteiro, Nicolás, 2009. "The role of mediation in peacemaking and peacekeeping negotiations," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 73-92, January.
- CAMINA, Ester & PORTEIRO, Nicolas, 2004. "The role of mediation in peacemaking and peacekeeping negotiations," CORE Discussion Papers 2004005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ponsati Clara, 2004.
"Search and Bargaining in Large Markets With Homogeneous Traders,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Clara Ponsat?Author-Email: Clara.firstname.lastname@example.org, 2001. "Search and bargaining in large markets with homogeneous traders," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 533.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ponsatí, Clara & Sákovics, József, 2008. "Queues, not just mediocrity: Inefficiency in decentralized markets with vertical differentiation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 998-1014, July.
- Clara Ponsati & Adamuz & Mercedes, 2004.
"Arbitration Systems and Negotiations,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
118, Econometric Society.
- Clara Ponsati & József Sákovics, 2005. "Markets for professional services: queues and mediocrity," ESE Discussion Papers 133, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- J. Atsu Amegashie, 2009.
"Incomplete Property Rights and Overinvestment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2711, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ana Paula Martins, 2010.
"Splitting Games: Nash Equilibrium and the Optimisation Problem,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_36, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ana Paula Martins, 2010. "Splitting Games: Nash Equilibrium and the Optimisation Problem," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels, vol. 53(1), pages 1-28.
- Kıbrıs, Özgür & Tapkı, İpek Gürsel, 2011. "Bargaining with nonanonymous disagreement: Decomposable rules," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 151-161.
- Rong, Kang, 2012. "Alternating-offer games with final-offer arbitration," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 596-610.
- KIbrIs, Özgür & TapkI, Ipek Gürsel, 2010. "Bargaining with nonanonymous disagreement: Monotonic rules," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 233-241, January.
- Li, Duozhe, 2011. "The power to delay," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 155-157, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.