Dynamic semiparametric factor models in risk neutral density estimation
AbstractDimension reduction techniques for functional data analysis model and approximate smooth random functions by lower dimensional objects. In many applications the focus of interest lies not only in dimension reduction but also in the dynamic behaviour of the lower dimensional objects. The most prominent dimension reduction technique - functional principal components analysis - however, does not model time dependences embedded in functional data. In this paper we use dynamic semiparametric factor models (DSFM) to reduce dimensionality and analyse the dynamic structure of unknown random functions by means of inference based on their lower dimensional representation. We apply DSFM to estimate the dynamic structure of risk neutral densities implied by prices of option on the DAX stock index.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis.
Volume (Year): 93 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112915
Other versions of this item:
- Enzo Giacomini & Wolfgang Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2008. "Dynamic Semiparametric Factor Models in Risk Neutral Density Estimation," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-038, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hernández-Hernández, Daniel & Schied, Alexander, 2007. "A control approach to robust utility maximization with logarithmic utility and time-consistent penalties," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(8), pages 980-1000, August.
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Enno Mammen & Byeong U. Park, 2007.
"Time Series Modelling with Semiparametric Factor Dynamics,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2007-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Park, Byeong U. & Mammen, Enno & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang & Borak, Szymon, 2009. "Time Series Modelling With Semiparametric Factor Dynamics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 284-298.
- Fengler, Matthias R. & Härdle, Wolfgang & Mammen, Enno, 2003. "Implied volatility string dynamics," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2003,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Rama Cont & Jose da Fonseca, 2002. "Dynamics of implied volatility surfaces," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 45-60.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Wolfgang Härdle & Julius Mungo & Carsten Trenkler, 2008. "VAR Modeling for Dynamic Loadings Driving Volatility Strings," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 6(3), pages 361-381, Summer.
- Maria Grith & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Volker Krätschmer, 2013. "Reference Dependent Preferences and the EPK Puzzle," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Audrino, Francesco & Meier, Pirmin, 2012. "Empirical pricing kernel estimation using a functional gradient descent algorithm based on splines," Economics Working Paper Series 1210, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- Barbara Choroś-Tomczyk & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Ostap Okhrin, 2013. "CDO Surfaces Dynamics," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2013-032, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Fengler, Matthias & Hin, Lin-Yee, 2011. "Semi-nonparametric estimation of the call price surface under strike and time-to-expiry no-arbitrage constraints," Economics Working Paper Series 1136, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, revised May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.