A semiparametric factor model for implied volatility surface dynamics
AbstractWe propose a semiparametric factor model, which approximates the implied volatility surface (IVS) in a finite dimensional function space. Unlike standard principal component approaches typically used to reduce complexity, our approach is tailored to the degenerated design of IVS data. In particular, we only fit in the local neighborhood of the design points by exploiting the expiry effect present in option data. Using DAX index option data, we estimate the nonparametric components and a low-dimensional time series of latent factors. The modeling approach is completed by studying vector autoregressive models fitted to the latent factors. Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 5 ()
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Georgios Chalamandaris & Andrianos Tsekrekos, 2013. "Explanatory Factors and Causality in the Dynamics of Volatility Surfaces Implied from OTC Asian–Pacific Currency Options," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 41(3), pages 327-358, March.
- Francesco Audrino & Dominik Colangelo, 2009. "Option trading strategies based on semi-parametric implied volatility surface prediction," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2009, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen 2009-24, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Barbara Choroś-Tomczyk & Wolfgang Karl Härdle & Ostap Okhrin, 2013. "CDO Surfaces Dynamics," SFB 649 Discussion Papers, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany SFB649DP2013-032, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Fengler, Matthias & Hin, Lin-Yee, 2011. "Semi-nonparametric estimation of the call price surface under strike and time-to-expiry no-arbitrage constraints," Economics Working Paper Series, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science 1136, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science, revised May 2013.
- Lena Korber & Oliver Linton & Michael Vogt, 2013. "A semiparametric model for heterogeneous panel data with fixed effects," CeMMAP working papers, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies CWP02/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Francesco Audrino & Dominik Colagelo, 2007. "Forecasting Implied Volatility Surfaces," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen 2007-42, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.