The Implication of Efficiency Wages On Tax Evasion and Tax Collections
AbstractThe conclusion of Peacock and Shaw's 1982 article "Tax Evasion and Tax Revenue Loss," which has received wide attention in the literature, indicates that a rise in tax evasion will definitely lead to lower tax collections. The present article makes a new attempt to reexamine the Peacock and Shaw proposition by introducing the principal tenets of the efficiency wage hypothesis. It is found that, in a context of efficiency wage model, a rise in the degree of tax evasion may enhance total tax collections rather than depress them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Public Finance Review.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2002.
"Social norm, the informal sector and unemployment,"
04-2002, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & Birthe Larsen, 2002. "Social Norm, the Informal Sector, and Unemployment," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(3), pages 407-, August.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2003. "Tax Progressivity and Tax Evasion," CESifo Working Paper Series 1097, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2001.
"Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy,"
Working Paper Series
2001:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & Birthe Larsen, 2003. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 1086, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kolm, A.S. & Larsen, B., 2001. "Wages, Unemployment, and the Underground Economy," Papers 2001:08, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Kolm, Anne-Sofie & Larsen, Birthe, 2003. "Wages, unemployment, and the underground economy," Working Papers 11-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.