An Axiomatic Approach to the Allocation of a Fixed Cost Through Prices
AbstractWe study the allocation of fixed costs to the outputs of a multiproduct firm. First we allocate short-run fixed costs through A-S prices which allocate the long-run costs. Long-run cost functions do not generally contain a fixed cost component. We show what part of the A-S prices associated with the long-run cost is allocated to the fixed cost and what part is allocated to the variable cost of the short-run costs. Second, in those cases in which the fixed costs must be allocated directly, we alter the axioms characterizing A-S prices slightly to accommodate cost functions which have a fixed cost component and derive an allocation mechanism characterized by these axioms for cost functions including those with a fixed cost component
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal Bell Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1983)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
Other versions of this item:
- Leonard J. Mirman, 1981. "An Axiomatic Approach to the Allocation of a Fixed Cost Through Prices," Discussion Papers 468, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dov Samet & Yair Tauman, 1981.
"The Determination of Marginal-Cost Prices Under a Set of Axioms,"
476, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Samet, Dov & Tauman, Yair, 1982. "The Determination of Marginal Cost Prices under a Set of Axioms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 895-909, July.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1990.
"The Transfer Pricing Problem: Where the Profits Are,"
NBER Working Papers
3538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hines, J.R., 1990. "The Transfer Pricing Problem: Where The Profit Are," Papers 64, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.