Measuring the Unemployment Risk in Northern Greece from the LFS Micro-Data during the Period 1994-2006
AbstractThis paper investigates unemployment risk and job prospects of individuals in the three Northern Greek regions (Central Macedonia, Western Macedonia, and Eastern Macedonia and Thrace), during the implementation of the second (1994-99) and the third (2000-06) Community Support Frameworks. More specifically, the research focuses on the social and demographic characteristics that increase the chances of individuals in finding a job, and explores the impact of gender, age, marital status, residence location, level of education, immigrant status, registered in the Manpower Employment Organization (OAED) and participation in training courses. Furthermore, there is an investigation whether University graduates face greater difficulties in finding a job than non-University graduates, as a series of studies or aggregate statistics for Greece conclude. Sampling is based on individual anonymized records (micro-data) of the Labour Force Survey for both employed and unemployed at Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics-2 level. The findings of the logit model are mixed for all the variables used, apart from those of registered in OAED for which the results have no differences among regions and years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its journal Review of Economic Analysis.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org/
Cross-sectional models; Labour economics policies; Human capital; Skills; Unemployment models; Regional; urban and rural analyses;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:iniesr:429 is not listed on IDEAS
- Zweimuller, Josef & Winter- Ebmer, Rudolf, 1992.
"Manpower Training Programs and Employment Stability,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt87z0674q, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Zweimuller, Josef & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 1996. "Manpower Training Programmes and Employment Stability," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(249), pages 113-30, February.
- Lechner, Michael & Miquel, Ruth & Wunsch, Conny, 2005.
"The Curse and Blessing of Training the Unemployed in a Changing Economy: the Case of East Germany after Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5171, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Lechner & Ruth Miquel & Conny Wunsch, 2007. "The Curse and Blessing of Training the Unemployed in a Changing Economy: The Case of East Germany After Unification," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 468-509, November.
- Lechner, Michael & Miquel, Ruth & Wunsch, Conny, 2005. "The curse and blessing of training the unemployed in a changing economy : the case of East Germany after unification," IAB Discussion Paper 200514, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Michael Lechner & Ruth Miquel & Conny Wunsch, 2005. "The Curse and Blessing of Training the Unemployed in a Changing Economy: The Case of East Germany after Unification," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2005 2005-15, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Lechner, Michael & Miquel, Ruth & Wunsch, Conny, 2005. "The Curse and Blessing of Training the Unemployed in a Changing Economy: The Case of East Germany After Unification," IZA Discussion Papers 1684, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albrecht, James & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Vroman, Susan, 2005.
"The Knowledge Lift: The Swedish Adult Education Program That Aimed to Eliminate Low Worker Skill Levels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1503, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albrecht, James & van den Berg, Gerard J & Vroman, Susan, 2004. "The knowledge lift: The Swedish adult education program that aimed to eliminate low worker skill levels," Working Paper Series 2004:17, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- James Albrecht (Georgetown University), Gerard J. van den Berg (Free University Amsterdam), and Susan Vroman (Georgetown University), 2005. "The Knowledge Lift: The Swedish Adult Education Program that Aimed to Eliminate Low Worker Skill Levels," Working Papers gueconwpa~05-05-08, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Begoña Cueto & F. Mato, 2009. "A nonexperimental evaluation of training programmes: regional evidence for Spain," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(2), pages 415-433, June.
- Kari Hämäläinen & Virve Ollikainen, 2004. "Differential Effects of Active Labour Market Programmes in the Early Stages of Young People's Unemployment," Research Reports 115, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Cockx, Bart, 2003. "Vocational Training of Unemployed Workers in Belgium," IZA Discussion Papers 682, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cockx, Bart & Van der Linden, Bruno & Karaa, Adel, 1998.
"Active Labour Market Policies and Job Tenure,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 685-708, October.
- Cockx, Bart & Van der Linden, Bruno & Karaa, Adel, 1996. "Active labour market policies and job tenure," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Robert G. Fay, 1996. "Enhancing the Effectiveness of Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from Programme Evaluations in OECD Countries," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 18, OECD Publishing.
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, 2004.
"Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes,"
CAM Working Papers
2004-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2004. "Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes," IZA Discussion Papers 1300, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael Rosholm & Michael Svarer, 2004. "Estimating the Threat Effect of Active Labour Market Programmes," Economics Working Papers 2004-6, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Elias Katsikas & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011. "Student Status and Academic Performance: Accounting for the Symptom of Long Duration of Studies in Greece," Discussion Paper Series 2011_04, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Mar 2011.
- Richard Jackman, 1995. "What Can Active Labour Market Policy Do?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0226, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Cavaco, Sandra & Fougère, Denis & Pouget, Julien, 2005. "Estimating the Effect of a Retraining Program for Displaced Workers on Their Transition to Permanent Jobs," IZA Discussion Papers 1513, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jochen Kluve & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2002. "Can training and employment subsidies combat European unemployment?," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 409-448, October.
- Anders Stenberg, 2005. "Comprehensive Education for the Unemployed - Evaluating the Effects on Unemployment of the Adult Education Initiative in Sweden," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 19(1), pages 123-146, 03.
- Regner, Hakan, 2002. "A nonexperimental evaluation of training programs for the unemployed in Sweden," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 187-206, April.
- Tsakloglou, Panos & Cholezas, Ioannis, 2005. "Education and Inequality in Greece," IZA Discussion Papers 1582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Torp, Hege, 1994. " The Impact of Training on Employment: Assessing a Norwegian Labour Market Programme," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(4), pages 531-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.