An Agnostic Look at Bayesian Statistics and Econometrics
AbstractBayesians and non-Bayesians, often called frequentists, seem to be perpetually at logger- heads on fundamental questions of statistical inference. This paper takes as agnostic a stand as is possible for a practising frequentist, and tries to elicit a Bayesian answer to questions of interest to frequentists. The argument is based on my presentation at a debate organised by the Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, between me as the frequentist "advocate", and Christian Robert on the Bayesian side.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its journal Review of Economic Analysis.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rcfea.org/
Bayesian methods; bootstrap; Bahadur-Savage result;
Other versions of this item:
- Russell Davidson, 2010. "An Agnostic Look at Bayesian Statistics and Econometrics," Working Papers halshs-00541163, HAL.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2004.
"Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
v04100, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Davidson, Russell & Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2007. "Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 141-166, November.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2007. "Asymptotic and bootstrap inference for inequality and poverty measures," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00175929, HAL.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2006. "Asymptotic And Bootstrap Inference For Inequality And Poverty Measures," Departmental Working Papers 2005-06, McGill University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell, 2009.
"Reliable inference for the Gini index,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 30-40, May.
- Pierre Perron & Zhongjun Qu, 2007. "An Analytical Evaluation of the Log-periodogram Estimate in the Presence of Level Shifts," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2007-044, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask J. Fernando Reyes to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.