Asset Illiquidity and Market Shutdowns in Competitive Equilibrium
AbstractThis paper introduces asymmetric information into a competitive asset market in a dynamic general-equilibrium model with borrowing constraints. In the presence of borrowing constraints, asset sales become a crucial means for agents to finance opportunities to invest in new assets. In this environment, reduced asset sales due to asymmetric information lower the economic growth rate if agents invest in new assets. The volume of asset trade, however, becomes zero if and only if agents stop investing in new assets because of sufficiently low aggregate productivity. A low economic growth rate in this case is solely due to low aggregate productivity without any role of the market shutdown. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics in its journal Review of Economic Dynamics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Review of Economic Dynamics Academic Press Editorial Office 525 "B" Street, Suite 1900 San Diego, CA 92101
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/review.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F44 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Business Cycles
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Philippon & Vasiliki Skreta, 2012.
"Optimal Interventions in Markets with Adverse Selection,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Philippon, Thomas & Skreta, Vasiliki, 2010. "Optimal Interventions in Markets with Adverse Selection," CEPR Discussion Papers 7737, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Philippon & Vasiliki Skreta, 2011. "Optimal Interventions in Markets with Adverse Selection," Working Papers 11-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Philippon & Vasiliki Skreta, 2010. "Optimal Interventions in Markets with Adverse Selection," NBER Working Papers 15785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vasiliki Skreta & Thomas Philippon, 2010. "Optimal Interventions in Markets with Adverse Selection," 2010 Meeting Papers 1333, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adam B. Ashcraft & Til Schuermann, 2008.
"Understanding the securitization of subprime mortgage credit,"
318, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ashcraft, Adam B. & Schuermann, Til, 2008. "Understanding the Securitization of Subprime Mortgage Credit," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 2(3), pages 191-309, June.
- Patrick Bolton & Tano Santos & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2009.
"Outside and Inside Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
14867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huberto M. Ennis & John A. Weinberg, 2010.
"Over-the-counter loans, adverse selection, and stigma in the interbank market,"
10-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Huberto Ennis & John Weinberg, 2013. "Over-the-counter loans, adverse selection, and stigma in the interbank market," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(4), pages 601-616, October.
- Andrea L. Eisfeldt, 2004. "Endogenous Liquidity in Asset Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(1), pages 1-30, 02.
- Viral V. Acharya & Douglas Gale & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2010.
"Rollover Risk and Market Freezes,"
NBER Working Papers
15674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2009.
"Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk,"
Working Paper Series
1126, European Central Bank.
- Marie Hoerova & Cornelia Holthausen & Florian Heider, 2009. "Liquidity hoarding and interbank market spreads: the role of counterparty risk," 2009 Meeting Papers 929, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Heider, Florian & Hoerova, Marie & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2010. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 7762, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heider, F. & Hoerova, M. & Holthausen, C., 2009. "Liquidity Hoarding and Interbank Market Spreads: The Role of Counterparty Risk," Discussion Paper 2009-40 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1989. "Agency Costs, Net Worth, and Business Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 14-31, March.
- Gale, Douglas, 1992. "A Walrasian Theory of Markets with Adverse Selection," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 229-55, April.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1987. "Financial Intermediation, Business Failures, and Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1196-1216, December.
- Eisfeldt, Andrea L. & Rampini, Adriano A., 2006. "Capital reallocation and liquidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 369-399, April.
- V.V. Chari & Ali Shourideh & Ariel Zetlin-Jones, 2010. "Adverse Selection, Reputation and Sudden Collapses in Secondary Loan Markets," NBER Working Papers 16080, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hajime Tomura, 2010. "Liquidity Transformation and Bank Capital Requirements," Working Papers 10-22, Bank of Canada.
- Thorsten V. Koeppl & Jonathan Chiu, 2010. "Market Freeze and Recovery: Trading Dynamics under Optimal Intervention by a Market-Maker-of-Last-Resort," 2010 Meeting Papers 78, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Benjamin Lester & Andrew Postlewaite & Randall Wright, 2011. "Information and Liquidity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 355-377, October.
- Chris Downing & Dwight Jaffee, 2009. "Is the Market for Mortgage-Backed Securities a Market for Lemons?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(7), pages 2257-2294, July.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Maskin, Eric S, 1996. "A Walrasian Theory of Money and Barter," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 955-1005, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.