Common currencies and FDI flows
AbstractThe paper investigates the impact of EMU on foreign direct investment flows. Using the option value approach to investment decisions, it is possible to show that exchange rate uncertainty hinders cross-border investment flows. By permanently fixing bilateral exchange rates, a currency union can then be expected to spur international investment. Results from a gravity model on a sample of OECD countries confirm the hypothesis that currency unions have a positive impact on FDI; moreover, adopting the same currency appears to do more than merely eliminating exchange rate volatility. These findings closely resemble those recently obtained in the trade literature. Copyright 2007 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 59 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rose, Andrew K, 2003.
"A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Rose, 2004. "A Meta-Analysis of the Effect of Common Currencies on International Trade," NBER Working Papers 10373, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Helene & Oh, Yonghyup, 2001. "Information and capital flows: The determinants of transactions in financial assets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 783-796, May.
- Engel, Charles M & Rose, Andrew K, 2001.
"Currency Unions and International Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cuneyt KILIC & Yýlmaz BAYAR & Feyza ARICA, 2014. "Effects of Currency Unions on Foreign Direct Investment Inflows: The European Economic and Monetary Union Case," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(1), pages 8-15.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Antonin Aviat & Roberto A. de Santis & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Redoano, Michela, 2012.
"Fiscal Interactions Among European Countries: Does the EU Matter?,"
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
101, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Michela Redoano, 2007. "Fiscal Interactions Among European Countries. Does the EU Matter?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1952, CESifo Group Munich.
- Busse, Matthias & Hefeker, Carsten & Nelgen, Signe, 2010.
"Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes,"
HWWI Research Papers
2-17, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2013. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 843-858.
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and exchange rate regimes," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 141-10, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Matthias Busse & Carsten Hefeker & Signe Nelgen, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment and Exchange Rate Regimes," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201015, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Andrew J. Abbott & Glauco De Vita, 2011. "Evidence on the impact of exchange rate regimes on bilateral FDI flows," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 253-274, July.
- Estrella Gómez-Herrera, 2013.
"Comparing alternative methods to estimate gravity models of bilateral trade,"
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1087-1111, June.
- Estrella Gómez Herrera, 2010. "Comparing alternative methods to estimate gravity models of bilateral trade," ThE Papers 10/05, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Sanja Samirana Pattnayak & Shandre M. Thangavelu, 2011. "Linkages and technology spillovers in the presence of foreign firms: Evidence from the Indian pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(3), pages 275-286, July.
- Anokye M. Adam, 2013. "Currency Union and Foreign Direct Investment Inflow: Evidence from Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)," SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business, University of Piraeus, vol. 63(1-2), pages 121-132, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.