Firms, markets and trade costs: access of French exporters to European agri-food markets
AbstractFrom the French exporters' point of view, the purpose of this article is to understand the extent by which the European (EU) market remains fragmented. Based on Chaney's model (Chaney, 2008) it is shown here that to enter the market, the firm's productivity must be higher than the productivity threshold. Using accounting and trade firm data for the year 2004, the value of the threshold at entry to each EU country is explained and then the value exported to each market. The results of this study reveal that the heterogeneity of EU markets is due to geographic conditions, as also the remaining trade costs at entry to these markets. , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Emmanuelle Chevassus-Lozza & Karine Latouche, 2012. "Firms, markets and trade costs: access of French exporters to European agri-food markets," Working Papers 45308, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Xiong, Bo & Beghin, John & Marette, Stéphan, 2013. "Gains to French champagne makers from tariff liberalization," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150003, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gaigne, Carl & Latouche, Karine & Turolla, Stephane, 2012. "Vertical Ownership and Trade: Firm-level evidence from France," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125020, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Curzi, Daniele & Olper, Alessandro, 2012. "Export behavior of Italian food firms: Does product quality matter?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 493-503.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2012.
"Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
123331, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Latouche, Karine & Rouviere, Elodie, 2011. "Brokers vs. Retailers: Evidence from the French Imports Industry of Fresh Produce," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114398, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.