Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand
AbstractMay 1998 Purdue AGEC Staff Paper #98-5 A newly developed demand system is used to estimate the response of food and food product demand to per capita expenditure changes. The resulting Engel elasticities are then used to project food and food product demand in 2020 assuming per capita expenditure and population changes. Results suggest that while food expenditure is projected to grow, it accounts for a smaller proportion of total expenditure. Further analysis indicates change in the composition of food demand away from a grain and towards livestock is projected to occur in lower income countries in 2020.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen Rimmer, 2002.
"Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!,"
Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers
ip-80, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Alan A. Powell & Keith R. McLaren & K.R. Pearson & Maureen Rimmer, 2002. "Cobb-Douglas Utility - Eventually!," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas & Preckel, Paul & Eales, James, 2003.
"Projecting World Food Demand Using Alternative Demand Systems,"
GTAP Working Papers
1182, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V. & Eales, James S., 2004. "Projecting world food demand using alternative demand systems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 99-129, January.
- Yu, Wusheng & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V. & Eales, James S., 2003. "Projecting World Food Demand Using Alternative Demand Systems," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25905, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Regmi, Anita & Seale, James L., Jr., 2010. "Cross-Price Elasticities of Demand Across 114 Countries," Technical Bulletins 59870, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Rae, Allan N., 2001. "Productivity Growth And Catching-Up: Implications For China'S Trade In Livestock Products," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20590, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng, 2008. "Household expenditure on food at home in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 15031, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bakhshoodeh, M., 2010. "Impacts of world prices transmission to domestic rice markets in rural Iran," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 12-19, February.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Nostbakken, Linda, 2009.
"Fuel versus Food,"
2009-20, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Wada, Nikolas, 2003. "Meating and Milking Global Demand: Stakes for Small-Scale Farmers in Developing Countries," Conference Proceedings 2003 124009, Crawford Fund.
- Delgado, Christopher L. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Meijer, Siet, 2001. "Livestock To 2020: The Revolution Continues," International Trade in Livestock Products Symposium, January 18-19, 2001, Auckland, New Zealand 14560, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Fabiosa, Jacinto F., 2006. "Growing Demand for Animal-Protein-Source Products in Indonesia: Trade Implications," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21417, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng & Shamsudin, Mad Nasir & Mohamed, Zainalabidin & Abdullah, Amin Mahir & Radam, Alias, 2008. "Demand analyses of rice in Malaysia," MPRA Paper 15062, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vasant, P. Ghandi & Zhang-Yue, Zhou, 2010. "Rising demand for livestock products in India: nature, patterns and implications," Australasian Agribusiness Review, University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 18.
- Graham, Brett & Tyers, Rodney, 2002. "Global Population Forecast Errors, Economic Performance and Food Demand: Preliminary Simulations," 2002 Conference (46th), February 13-15, 2002, Canberra 125091, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Hansen, James M., 2012. "Assessing the Impact of Southeast Asia's Increasing Meat Demand on Global Feed Demand and Prices," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124683, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Delgado, Christopher L., 1999. "Economy-wide impacts of technological change in the agro-food production and processing sectors in Sub- Saharan Africa," MTID discussion papers 38, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.