Cross-Price Elasticities of Demand Across 114 Countries
AbstractThis report presents a simple methodology for calculating cross-price elasticities across countries, using the Frisch own-price elasticity. Cross-price elasticities are calculated for 9 major consumption categories from the 1996 International Comparison Program data across 114 countries. The consumption categories are: food, beverage, and tobacco; clothing and footwear; education; gross rent, fuel, and power; house furnishings and operations; medical care; recreation; transport and communications; and “other” items. Additionally, cross-price elasticities are calculated and reported for a two-good demand system of food and nonfood. The elasticity estimates from this report are the only available consistent cross-country cross-price elasticity estimates across such a large number of countries and consumption categories.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Technical Bulletins with number 59870.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Cross-country demand analysis; cross-price elasticities; 1996 ICP data; Florida Model; Frisch elasticity; complete demand analysis; food demand; Demand and Price Analysis; International Development; International Relations/Trade;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2008.
"Impacts of trade reform: sensitivity of model results to key assumptions,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 395-420, February.
- Ernesto Valenzuela & Kym Anderson & Thomas Hertel, 2007. "Impacts of Trade Reform: Sensitivity of Model Results to Key Assumptions," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2007-09, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Cranfield, John & James Eales & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul Preckel, 1998.
"Changes in the Structure of Global Food Demand,"
GTAP Working Papers
295, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Seale, James Jr. & Walker, Wayne E. & Kim, In-Moo, 1991. "The demand for energy : Cross-country evidence using the Florida model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 33-40, January.
- Keller, W.J. & Van Driel, J., 1985. "Differential consumer demand systems," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 375-390.
- Thomas W. Hertel & L. Alan Winters, 2006. "Poverty and the WTO : Impacts of the Doha Development Agenda," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7411, March.
- Jeffrey Reimer & Thomas Hertel, 2004. "Estimation of International Demand Behaviour for Use with Input-Output Based Data," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 347-366.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence On Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 33580, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kravis, Irving B & Heston, Alan W & Summers, Robert, 1978. "Real GDP per Capita for More Than One Hundred Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(350), pages 215-42, June.
- Maureen T. Rimmer & Alan A. Powell, 1992. "Demand Patterns Across the Development Spectrum: Estimates for the AIDADS System," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-75, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Theil, Henri & Finke, Renate, 1985. "Income and price elasticities of demand at low levels of real income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-5.
- Suhm, Frederick E., 1979. "A cross-country analysis of Divisia covariances of prices and quantities consumed," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 287-291.
- W. Michael Cox & Richard Alm, 2007. "Opportunity knocks: selling our services to the world," Annual Report, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, pages 6-27.
- Timmer, C Peter, 1981. "Is There "Curvature" in the Slutsky Matrix?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 395-402, August.
- Izan, Haji Y. & Clements, Kenneth W., 1979. "A cross-cross-section analysis of consumption patterns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 83-86.
- Theil, Henri & Seale, James Jr., 1987. "Measuring the distance between relative price vectors of different countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 371-374.
- J. A. L. Cranfield & James S. Eales & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul V. Preckel, 2003. "Model selection when estimating and predicting consumer demands using international, cross section data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-364, 04.
- Fiebig, Denzil G. & Seale, James & Theil, Henri, 1987. "The demand for energy : Evidence from a cross-country demand system," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 149-153, July.
- Reimer, Jeff & Thomas Hertel, 2004.
"International Cross Section Estimates of Demand for Use in the GTAP Model,"
GTAP Technical Papers
1647, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Reimer, Jeff & Hertel, Thomas, 2003. "International Cross Section Estimates of Demand for Use in the GTAP Model," GTAP Working Papers 1190, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Finke, Renate & Rosalsky, Mercedes C. & Theil, Henri, 1983. "A new cross-country tabulation of income elasticities of demand," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 391-396.
- Seale, James Jr. & Theil, Henri, 1987. "Extending the sample size in cross-country demand analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 209-212.
- Meade, Birgit & Anita Regmi & Seale, James L. Jr. & Muhammad, Andrew, 2013. "Anticipating Consumer Demand in a Mercurial Price Climate: Cross-Price Elasticities across Multiple Goods," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150438, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Chitiga, Margaret & Fofana, Ismael & Mabugu, Ramos, 2011. "A multiregion general equilibrium analysis of fiscal consolidation in South Africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 1110, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jason Henderson, 2011. "Building U.S. agricultural exports: one BRIC at a time," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.