Measurement and Sources of Economies of Scope: A Primal Approach
AbstractScope economies (reflecting the benefit of a multioutput firm) have been defined by Baumol, Panzar, and Willig in the context of cost functions. This paperuses Luenberger's shortage function to develop a general measure of scope economies directly from the underlying technology. The analysis applies under complete as well as partial specialization. Our primal measure of economies of scope is decomposed into four additive parts: one measuring complementarity, one reflecting economies of scale, one reflecting convexity of the technology, and one reflecting the role of catalytic outputs. This decomposition appears useful and helps generate valuable insights into the economics of specialization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics.
Volume (Year): 163 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/jite
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fleming, Euan M. & Villano, Renato A. & Fleming, Pauline, 2008. "Evidence of Scope Economies in the Australian Wheat-Sheep Zone," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36849, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010.
"Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Profit and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a General Comparison,"
2010/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010. "Tangency capacity notions based upon the profit and cost functions: A non-parametric approach and a general comparison," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1156-1166, September.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior, 2009. "Tangency Capacity Notions Based upon the Pro?t and Cost Functions: A Non-Parametric Approach and a Comparison," Working Papers 2009-ECO-05, IESEG School of Management.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Kim, Kwansoo, 2010. "Economies of diversification: A generalization and decomposition of economies of scope," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 229-235, August.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2009.
"Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach,"
2009-ECO-03, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2009. "Negative Data in DEA: A Simple Proportional Distance Function Approach," Working Papers 2009/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Villano, Renato & Fleming, Euan & Fleming, Pauline, 2010. "Evidence of farm-level synergies in mixed-farming systems in the Australian Wheat-Sheep Zone," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 146-152, March.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul, . "On the economics of agricultural production," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2009.
"The Luenberger productivity indicator: An economic specification leading to infeasibilities,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 597-600, May.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2008. "The Luenberger Productivity Indicator: An Economic Specifcation Leading to Infeasibilities," Working Papers 2008-ECO-09, IESEG School of Management.
- Carvalho, Pedro & Marques, Rui Cunha, 2014. "Computing economies of vertical integration, economies of scope and economies of scale using partial frontier nonparametric methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 292-307.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.