The Recent Internationalization of Japanese Banks
AbstractWe investigate the changing role and direction of Japanese bank internationalization with an emphasis on the period from 1995 to 2008. In recent years Japan has gone from being a net receiver of international bank lending of US$230 billion (1995) to a net lender to international banks of US$235 billion (2008). The analysis of international bank positions demonstrates that (a) Japanese banks significantly reduced their international exposures to mitigate the effects of their failed loans in the Asia-Pacific region; (b) European integration has been associated with enhanced claims, while during the same period Japanese claims were reduced; (c) Japanese bank internationalization appears to be at odds with customer-related motivations, although such a low-risk strategy would be consistent with sociocultural or geographic influences, the effects of asymmetries in information, and risk aversion. Finally, we can add to existing facts concerning the differences between domestic and international banking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Japanese Economy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=110911
Other versions of this item:
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teeters, Nancy, 1983. "The role of banks in the international financial system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 453-463, December.
- William B. English & William R. Nelson, 1998. "Profits and balance sheet developments at U.S. commercial banks in 1997," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 391-419.
- Dirk Hackbarth & Christopher A. Hennessy & Hayne E. Leland, 2007. "Can the Trade-off Theory Explain Debt Structure?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1389-1428, 2007 04.
- Camilo E Tovar & Myriam Quispe-Agnoli, 2008. "New financing trends in Latin America," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), New financing trends in Latin America: a bumpy road towards stability, volume 36, pages 1-14 Bank for International Settlements.
- George H. Chittenden, 1965. "The Changing Role Of U.S. Banks In International Financing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 172-181, 05.
- Rhoades, Stephen A., 1983. "Concentration of world banking and the role of U.S. banks among the 100 largest, 1956-1980," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 427-437, September.
- Claudia M. Buch, 2001.
"Distance and International Banking,"
Kiel Working Papers
1043, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Heller, H Robert, 1987. "The Debt Crisis and the Future of International Bank Lending," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 171-75, May.
- Xavier Freixas & Cornelia Holthausen, 2001.
"Interbank market integration under asymmetric information,"
Economics Working Papers
579, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Xavier Freixas, 2005. "Interbank Market Integration under Asymmetric Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 459-490.
- Freixas, X. & Holthausen, C., 2001. "Interbank Market Integration under Asymmetric Information," Papers 74, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Freixas, Xavier & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2001. "Interbank market integration under asymmetric information," Working Paper Series 0074, European Central Bank.
- Nancy H. Teeters & Henry S. Terrell, 1983. "The role of banks in the international financial system," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Sep, pages 663-671.
- Kosmidou, K. & Pasiouras, F. & Zopounidis, C. & Doumpos, M., 2006. "A multivariate analysis of the financial characteristics of foreign and domestic banks in the UK," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 189-195, April.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2008.
"The Role of Interbank Markets in Monetary Policy: A Model with Rationing,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(6), pages 1151-1176, 09.
- Xavier Freixas & José Jorge, 2007. "The role of interbank markets in monetary policy: A model with rationing," Economics Working Papers 1027, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- Maria A. Gee & Tomoko Mano, 2006. "Accounting for deferred tax in Japanese Banks and the consequences for their international operations," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 42(1), pages 1-21.
- Moshirian, Fariborz & Bishop, Robert, 1997. "International business: determinants of interbank activities," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 329-349, December.
- David R. Skeie, 2008.
"Banking with nominal deposits and inside money,"
242, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Khemraj, Tarron, 2008.
"Excess Liquidity and the Foreign Currency Constraint: The Case of Monetary Management in Guyana,"
53127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tarron Khemraj, 2009. "Excess liquidity and the foreign currency constraint: the case of monetary management in Guyana," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(16), pages 2073-2084.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A. & Thakor, Anjan V., 1991. "Off-balance sheet liabilities, deposit insurance and capital regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 825-846, September.
- Neanidis, Kyriakos C. & Savva, Christos S., 2009.
"Financial dollarization: Short-run determinants in transition economies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1860-1873, October.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis & Christos S. Savva, 2009. "Financial Dollarization: Short-Run Determinants in Transition Economies," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 113, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Chang, Roberto & Velasco, Andres, 2000. "Banks, debt maturity and financial crises," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 169-194, June.
- Montgomery, Heather, 2005. "The effect of the Basel Accord on bank portfolios in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 24-36, March.
- Buch, Claudia M, 2003. " Information or Regulation: What Drives the International Activities of Commercial Banks?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 851-69, December.
- Moshirian, Fariborz & Sadeh, Ilan & Zein, Jason, 2004. "International financial services: determinants of banks' foreign assets held by non-banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 351-365, October.
- M. Emranul Haque & Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2009. "Financial Dollarization: Short-Run Determinants in Transition Economies," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 114, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Sven Blank & Claudia M Buch, 2007. "The Euro and Cross-Border Banking: Evidence from Bilateral Data," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 389-410, September.
- Lehar, Alfred, 2005. "Measuring systemic risk: A risk management approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 2577-2603, October.
- Alexandre MINDA (LEREPS-GRES), 2007. "The entry of multinational banks into Latin America: a source of stability or financial fragility?," Cahiers du GRES 2007-06, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.