Financial Dollarization: Short-Run Determinants in Transition Economies
AbstractThis paper tests the proposition that fiscal transparency, measured by a newly constructed data on budget openness, can be a powerful control on corruption. This result is robust to the choice of index of corruption, conditioning variables, country sample, exclusion of outliers, and the use of different instrumentation and estimation techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester in its series Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series with number 114.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chowdhury, Shyamal K., 2004. "The effect of democracy and press freedom on corruption: an empirical test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 93-101, October.
- Alt, James E. & Lassen, David Dreyer, 2006. "Fiscal transparency, political parties, and debt in OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1403-1439, August.
- Freille, Sebastian & Haque, M. Emranul & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "A contribution to the empirics of press freedom and corruption," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 838-862, December.
- James E. Alt & David Dreyer Lassen & Shanna Rose, 2006. "The Causes of Fiscal Transparency: Evidence from the American States," EPRU Working Paper Series 06-02, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Fiscal Transparency and Economic Outcomes," IMF Working Papers 05/225, International Monetary Fund.
- George Kopits & J. D. Craig, 1998. "Transparency in Government Operations," IMF Occasional Papers 158, International Monetary Fund.
- Batten, Jonathan & Szilagyi, Peter, 2010.
"The Recent Internationalisation of Japanese Banks,"
48049, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis & Christos S. Savva, 2013. "Institutions and Financial Dollarization: Indirect Effects based on a Policy Experiment," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 187, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Hake, Mariya & Stix, Helmut, 2013.
"Households’ foreign currency borrowing in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1880-1897.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake & Helmut Stix, 2011. "Households’ Foreign Currency Borrowing in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 171, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Marina Tkalec, 2012.
"The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(3), pages 278-296, July.
- Marina Tkalec, 2013. "The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-Transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1, pages 66-83, 03.
- Marina Tkalec, 2011. "The Dynamics of Deposit Euroization in European Post-transition Countries: Evidence from Threshold VAR," Working Papers 1102, The Institute of Economics, Zagreb.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010.
"Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership,"
Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series
143, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010. "Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 257-282, 08.
- Kyriakos C. Neanidis, 2010. "Financial Dollarization and European Union Membership," CESifo Working Paper Series 3101, CESifo Group Munich.
- Airaudo, Marco, 2012. "Endogenous Dollarization, Sovereign Risk Premia and the Taylor Principle," Department of Economics Working Paper Series 2012-11, LeBow College of Business, Drexel University.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Jarko Fidrmuc & Mariya Hake, 2011. "Determinants of Foreign Currency Loans in CESEE Countries: A Meta-Analysis," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 69-87.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Ozsoz, Emre & Rengifo, Erick W., 2012. "Cross-sectional determinants of bank performance under deposit dollarization in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 478-492.
- Erick W. Rengifo & Emre Ozsoz & Mustapha A. Akinkunmi & Eduardo Court, 2013. "Bank Regulation in Dollarized Economies: The Case of Turkey," International Journal of Financial Studies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(4), pages 137-153, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.