Foreign Bond Markets and Financial Market Development: International Perspectives
AbstractThe domestic bond markets of the Asia and Pacific region have grown considerably since the Asian financial crisis of 1997, although they remain undeveloped relative to the region's weight in the world economy. This paper proposes that in order to encourage further development of these markets, regulators should make them more accessible to foreign borrowers. To that end we offer insights into the nature and mechanics of foreign bond issuance by investigating the key characteristics of 3,132 foreign bonds issued in 14 countries (other than the United States) between July 1928 and June 2009. We found that the foreign borrowers that tap domestic markets are overwhelmingly of high credit quality and comprise sovereigns, supranationals, and major financial institutions. There is a preference for simple fixed-rate payment structures, which can then be swapped into the currency and coupon type of choice using currency and interest rate derivatives. On the whole, the long-term viability of foreign bond markets appears linked to the presence of highly liquid foreign exchange and derivatives markets that facilitate risk management and transformation, enabling regulation that facilitates cooperation with market participants, the presence of benchmark issues, and competitive pricing between alternate market segments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank Institute in its series ADBI Working Papers with number 173.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 08 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 2-5, Kasumigaseki 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
bond markets; financial market development; foreign bonds;
Other versions of this item:
- Jonathan A. Batten & Warren P. Hogan & Peter G Szilagyi, 2010. "Foreign Bond Markets and Financial Market Development: International Perspectives," Working Papers id:3042, eSocialSciences.
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2010-05-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2010-05-22 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans J. Blommestein & Javier Santiso, 2007. "New Strategies for Emerging Domestic Sovereign Bond Markets," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 260, OECD Publishing.
- Blommestein Hans J & Santiso Javier, 2007. "New Strategies for Emerging Domestic Sovereign Bond Markets in the Global Financial Landscape," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-58, June.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006.
"Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007. "Foreign participation in local currency bond markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chakraborty, Shankha & Ray, Tridip, 2006.
"Bank-based versus market-based financial systems: A growth-theoretic analysis,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 329-350, March.
- Shankha Chakraborty & Tridip Ray, 2003. "Bank-based versus Market-based Financial Systems: A Growth-theoretic Analysis," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-6, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Feb 2002.
- Robert N McCauley & Yung-Chul Park, 2006. "Developing the bond market(s) of East Asia: global, regional or national?," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 19-39 Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan A. Batten & Warren P. Hogan & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2011. "The Role of Foreign Bond Issuance: The Case of Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 44(1), pages 36-50, 03.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2006.
"Why doesn’t Asia have bigger bond markets?,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Asian bond markets: issues and prospects, volume 30, pages 40-77
Bank for International Settlements.
- Honda, Etsuro, 2003. "Financial deregulation in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 135-140, January.
- Masahiro Inoguchi, 2007. "Influence of ADB Bond Issues and US Bonds on Asian Government Bonds ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 387-404, December.
- Richard J. Herring & Nathporn Chatusripitak, 2000. "The Case of the Missing Market: The Bond Market and Why It Matters for Financial Development," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-08, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Camilo E. Tovar & Myriam Quispe-Agnoli, 2008. "New financing trends in Latin America : an overview of selected issues and policy challenges," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Guorong Jiang & Robert McCauley, 2004. "Asian local currency bond markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Jonathan A. Batten & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2007. "Domestic Bond Market Development: The Arirang Bond Experience in Korea," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 22(2), pages 165-195, September.
- Julia Leung, 2006. "Developing bond markets in Asia: experience with ABF2," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Developing corporate bond markets in Asia, volume 26, pages 74-79 Bank for International Settlements.
- Garry J. Schinasi & T. Todd Smith, 1998. "Fixed-Income Markets in the United States, Europe, and Japan-Some Lessons for Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 98/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Mizen & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012.
"What promotes greater use of the corporate bond market? A study of the issuance behaviour of firms in Asia,"
2012_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Paul Mizen & Serafeim Tsoukas, . "What Promotes Greater Use of the Corporate Bond Market? A Study of the Issuance Behaviour of Firms in Asia," Discussion Papers 12/17, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Peter J. Morgan & Mario Lamberte, 2012.
"Strengthening Financial Infrastructure,"
Finance Working Papers
23191, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Robert Hugh Davis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.