The Euro and Cross-Border Banking: Evidence from Bilateral Data
AbstractHas the introduction of the Euro fostered financial integration in Europe? We answer this question using a data set of banks’ bilateral foreign assets and liabilities provided by the Bank for International Settlements. The data cover the pre-Euro period (1995–1998) and the post-Euro period (1999–2005). We use information from 10 OECD reporting countries and all OECD recipient countries. Gravity regressions show a positive and significant impact of the Euro on bilateral financial linkages. This effect is stronger and more robust for banks’ foreign assets than for their foreign liabilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 49 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gajewski, Krzysztof & Olszewski, Krzysztof & Pawłowska, Małgorzata & Rogowski, Wojciech & Tchorek, Grzegorz & Zięba, Jolanta, 2012.
"Integracja finansowa w Europie po wprowadzeniu euro. Przegląd literatury
[Financial integration in Europe after the introduction of the euro. A literature overview]," MPRA Paper 42482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Böninghausen, Benjamin & Köhler, Matthias, 2012. "Diversification and determinants of international credit portfolios: Evidence from German banks," Discussion Papers 28/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jonathan A. Batten & Peter G. Szilagyi, 2011.
"The Recent Internationalization of Japanese Banks,"
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(1), pages 81-120, April.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian T. & Siegel, Stephan, 2013.
"The European Union, the Euro, and equity market integration,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 583-603.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian T. Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2010. "The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration," NBER Working Papers 16583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Siegel & Christian Lundblad & Campbell R. Harvey & Geert Bekaert, 2011. "The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration," 2011 Meeting Papers 468, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ruo Chen & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Thierry Tressel, 2012. "External Imbalances in the Euro Area," IMF Working Papers 12/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald & Heuchemer, Sylvia, 2013. "Financial crises and cross-border banking: New evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 884-915.
- Philip R. Lane, 2008. "EMU and Financial Integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp272, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.