The High-Frequency Response of the EUR-USD Exchange Rate to ECB Communication
AbstractWe investigate the impact of the European Central Bank's monetary policy communication during the press conference held after the monthly Governing Council meeting on the EUR-USD exchange rate in high frequency. Based on the method of Content Analysis, we construct communication indicators for the introductory statement and find that communication with respect to future price developments is most relevant. In response to statements about increasing risks to price stability the EUR appreciates on impact. To the contrary, communication about economic activity and monetary aggregates does not generate significant exchange rate reactions. Copyright (c) 2010 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Conrad, Christian & Zumbach, Klaus Ulrich, 2012. "The Effect of Political Communication on European Financial Markets during the Sovereign Debt Crisis," Working Papers 0536, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Ales Bulir & Jaromir Hurnik & Katerina Smidkova, 2013. "Inflation Reports and Models: How Well Do Central Banks Really Write?," Working Papers 2013/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Christopher J. Neely, 2011. "A survey of announcement effects on foreign exchange volatility and jumps," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 361-385.
- Dewachter, Hans & Erdemlioglu, Deniz & Gnabo, Jean-Yves & Lecourt, Christelle, 2013. "The intra-day impact of communication on euro-dollar volatility and jumps," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/410258, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Conrad, Christian & Karanasos, Menelaos & Zeng, Ning, 2011.
"Multivariate fractionally integrated APARCH modeling of stock market volatility: A multi-country study,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 147-159, January.
- Christian Conrad & Menelaos Karanasos & Ning Zeng, 2008. "Multivariate Fractionally Integrated APARCH Modeling of Stock Market Volatility: A multi-country study," Working Papers 0472, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Barbara Bedowska-Sojka, 2011. "The Impact of Macro News on Volatility of Stock Exchanges," Dynamic Econometric Models, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 11, pages 99-110.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.