The Time-Varying Phillips Correlation
AbstractWe use complex demodulation techniques to investigate changes in the correlation between real activity and inflation at the business-cycle frequencies in the United States, the United Kingdom, the Eurozone, and 10 other Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries over the post-WWII era. Consistent with the analysis of Ball, Mankiw, and Romer (1988) we document a positive correlation between the time-varying average gain of real activity onto inflation at the business-cycle frequencies and inflation's Hodrick-Prescott trend, which is compatible with New Keynesian theories emphasizing the link between trend inflation, the frequency of price adjustments, and the slope of the Phillips trade-off. Copyright 2007 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 39 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kristian Jönsson, 2010. "Trend extraction with a judgement-augmented hodrick–prescott filter," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 703-711, December.
- Gbaguidi, David Sedo, 2011. "Regime Switching in a New Keynesian Phillips Curve with Non-zero Steady-state Inflation Rate," MPRA Paper 35481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McAdam, Peter & Willman, Alpo, 2007. "State-dependency and firm-level optimization: a contribution to Calvo price staggering," Working Paper Series 0806, European Central Bank.
- Andrea Vaona, 2008. "Inflation persistence, structural breaks and omitted variables: a critical view," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 0802, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Gbaguidi, David Sedo, 2011.
"Expectations Impact on the Effectiveness of the Inflation-Real Activity Trade-Off,"
35482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gbaguidi S. DAVID, 2011. "Expectations Impact On The Effectiveness Of The Inflation-Real Activity Trade-Off," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 141-182, December.
- Peter Mcadam & Alpo Willman, 2010. "Arrow-Calvo Price Staggering," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 78(6), pages 556-581, December.
- Benati, Luca, 2010. "Evolving Phillips trade-off," Working Paper Series 1176, European Central Bank.
- Benjamin Wong, 2013. "The Evolution of the U.S. Output-Inflation Tradeoff," CAMA Working Papers 2013-70, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.