Job Creation by the Self-employed: The Roles of Entrepreneurial and Financial Capital
AbstractThe paper reports micro-econometric evidence on the factors that influence the ability of the small businesses to create employment. It uses data on self-employment from a British panel survey. In particular it investigates the contributions of financial and entrepreneurial capital to job creation. Housing wealth appears to be significantly associated with small business job creation. It appears to act as an important source of financial collateral. The parental background of the small business owner is also significantly associated with job creation. Successful entrepreneurs are more likely to have had self-employed parents, and in particular parents who employed others. Educational attainment, in particular at degree level, is also important. The preferred model incorporates individual random effects and the significance of these suggests the importance of unobserved latent entrepreneurial ability. Copyright Springer 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994.
"Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(2), pages 334-347, Summer.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & David Joulfaian & Harvey S. Rosen, 1994. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," NBER Working Papers 4526, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Holtz-Eakin, D. & Joulfaian, D. & Rosen, H.S., 1992. "Entrepreneurial Decisions and Liquidity Constraints," Papers 129, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Lindh, Thomas & Ohlsson, Henry, 1996. "Self-Employment and Windfall Gains: Evidence from the Swedish Lottery," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1515-26, November.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-27, August.
- Burke, Andrew E & FitzRoy, Felix R & Nolan, Michael A, 2002.
" Self-Employment Wealth and Job Creation: The Roles of Gender, Non-pecuniary Motivation and Entrepreneurial Ability,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 255-70, November.
- Andrew E. Burke & Felix R. FitzRoy & Michael A. Nolan, 2000. "Self-Employment Wealth and Job Creation: The Roles of Gender, Non-Pecuniary Motivation and Entrepreneurial Ability," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 0006, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Evans, David S & Leighton, Linda S, 1989. "Some Empirical Aspects of Entrepreneurship," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 519-35, June.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1996.
"Earnings, Independence or Unemployment: Why Become Self-Employed?,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(2), pages 253-66, May.
- Taylor, Mark P., 1994. "Earnings, independence or unemployment: why become self -employed?," ISER Working Paper Series 26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Self-Employment and Windfall Gains in Britain: Evidence from Panel Data,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 68(272), pages 539-65, November.
- Taylor, Mark P, 1999. "Self-Employment and Windfall Gains in Britain: Evidence From Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 2084, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Black, Jane & de Meza, David & Jeffreys, David, 1996. "House Price, the Supply of Collateral and the Enterprise Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 60-75, January.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cowling, Marc & Mitchell, Peter, 1997. "The Evolution of U.K. Self-Employment: A Study of Government Policy and the Role of the Macroeconomy," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 65(4), pages 427-42, September.
- Burke, Andrew E & FitzRoy, Felix R & Nolan, Michael A, 2000. " When Less Is More: Distinguishing between Entrepreneurial Choice and Performance," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(5), pages 565-87, December.
- Rees, Hedley & Shah, Anup, 1986. "An Empirical Analysis of Self-employment in the U.K," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 95-108, January.
- Andrew Henley, 2004. "Self-Employment Status: The Role of State Dependence and Initial Circumstances," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-82, 02.
- Cressy, Robert, 1996. "Are Business Startups Debt-Rationed?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1253-70, September.
- Darja Reuschke, 2011. "Self-Employment and Geographical Mobility in Germany," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 417, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Credit Unions, Consolidation and Small Business Lending: Evidence from Canada," MPRA Paper 50813, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Millán, Ana & Millán, José María & Román, Concepción & van Stel, André, 2013.
"How does employment protection legislation influence hiring and firing decisions by the smallest firms?,"
Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 444-448.
- André van Stel & José Maria Millán & Concepcion Roman & Ana Millán, 2013. "How does employment protection legislation influence hiring and firing decisions by the smallest firms?," Scales Research Reports H201216, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Aparna Mathur, 2010.
"Health insurance and job creation by the self-employed,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 299-317, October.
- Mathur, Aparna, 2006. "Health Insurance and Job Creation by the Self-Employed," Working paper 375, Regulation2point0.
- Simoes, Nadia & Moreira, Sandrina B. & Crespo, Nuno, 2013. "Individual Determinants of Self-Employment Entry – What Do We Really Know?," MPRA Paper 48403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Disney & John Gathergood, .
"Housing Wealth, Liquidity Constraints and Self-Employment,"
08/03, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Disney, Richard & Gathergood, John, 2009. "Housing wealth, liquidity constraints and self-employment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 79-88, January.
- José María Millán & Emilio Congregado & Concepción Román, 2010. "Determinants of Self-Employment Dynamics and their Implications on Entrepreneurial Policy Effectiveness," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 72, pages 45-76.
- Scott L. Newbert & Michael D. Stouder, 2011. "Justice in entrepreneurial organizations," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 453-465, April.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Kahanec, Martin & Kendzia, Michael J. & Wehner, Caroline & al., et, 2013. "Report No. 54: Social Protection Rights of Economically Dependent Self-employed Workers," IZA Research Reports 54, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Morgan, Horatio M., 2013. "Credit Unions, Consolidation and Business Formation: Evidence from Canadian provinces," MPRA Paper 52327, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- G. Guerra & R. Patuelli, 2012.
"The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment,"
wp849, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Giuliano Guerra, 2011. "The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment," Quaderni della facoltÃ di Scienze economiche dell'UniversitÃ di Lugano 1201, USI Università della Svizzera italiana.
- Giuliano Guerra & Roberto Patuelli, 2012. "The Role of Job Satisfaction in Transitions into Self-Employment," Working Paper Series 63_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2013.
- Backman, Mikaela & Karlsson, Charlie, 2013. "Exploration of Wisdom Ages: Firm survival," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 339, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.