The choice of an invoicing currency in international trade and the balance of trade impact of currency depreciation
AbstractCross-country differences in the choice of an invoicing currency in international trade is one reason for cross-country differences in estimated exchange rate coefficients in short-run balance of trade equations. If exports are invoiced in domestic currency while imports are invoiced in a foreign currency, a depreciation will increase the domestic currency value of outstanding import contracts, and may cause the balance of trade to fall in the short run. Countries with different invoicing patterns will have different effects on the short-run trade balance following a depreciation. We explore a simple theory of invoicing currency choice, drawing inferences regarding the likely choices for 14 countries. This allows a classification of countries according to the expected short-run balance of trade effect of a currency depreciation. Empirical estimates support the hypothesized groupings based on suggested currency invoicing patterns. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1990
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 1 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
exchange rates; international trade; invoicing practices;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Catherine L. Mann, 1986. "Prices, profit margins, and exchange rates," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jun, pages 366-379.
- Baron, David P, 1976. "Fluctuating Exchange Rates and the Pricing of Exports," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 425-38, September.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1985. "Devaluation and the J-Curve: Some Evidence from LDCs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 500-504, August.
- McKinnon, Ronald I., 1979. "Money in International Exchange: The Convertible Currency System," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195024098.
- Moffett, Michael H., 1989. "The J-curve revisited: an empirical examination for the United States," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 425-444, September.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Fisher, Eric, 1989.
"A model of exchange rate pass-through,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 119-137, February.
- Aliber, Robert Z, 1976. " The Firm under Pegged and Floating Exchange Rates," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 309-22.
- Miles, Marc A, 1979. "The Effects of Devaluation on the Trade Balance and the Balance of Payments: Some New Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(3), pages 600-20, June.
- Ligthart, Jenny E. & Werner, Sebastian E. V., 2012.
"Has the Euro affected the choice of invoicing currency?,"
Working Paper Series
1414, European Central Bank.
- Ligthart, Jenny E. & Werner, Sebastian E.V., 2012. "Has the euro affected the choice of invoicing currency?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1551-1573.
- Ligthart, J.E. & Werner, S.E.V., 2010. "Has the Euro Affected the Choice of Invoicing Currency?," Discussion Paper 2010-48, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jenny E. Ligthart & Sebastian E. V. Werner, 2011. "Has the Euro Affected the Choice of Invoicing Currency?," CAMA Working Papers 2011-03, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jenny Ligthart & Sebastian E. V. Werner, 2010. "Has the Euro Affected the Choice of Invoicing Currency?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3058, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ayoub Yousefi, 2000. "Merchandise Trade Balances of Less Developed Countries and Exchange Rate of the U.S. Dollar: Cases of Iran, Venezuela & Saudi Arabia," Working Papers 00002, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2000.
- Ligthart, J.E. & Da Silva, J., 2007. "Currency Invoicing in International Trade: A Panel Data Approach," Discussion Paper 2007-25, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Yousefi, Ayoub & Wirjanto, Tony S., 2003. "Exchange rate of the US dollar and the J curve: the case of oil exporting countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 741-765, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.