Do we estimate an input or an output distance function? An application of the mixture approach to European railways
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate parametric input and output distance functions and discuss how to estimate a mixture/latent class model (LCM) involving the output and input distance functions in the context of multi-input and multi-output production technology. The proposed technique is applied to a panel data on European Railways (1971–1994). This model allows us to identify determinants of the efficiency orientation, thereby providing useful information that can help researchers to choose between the input and the output-oriented approaches. In addition, we develop cross-indices that can be used to compute input (output) technical inefficiency from the estimates of output (input) distance function. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 27 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
Distance functions ; Technical efficiency orientation; Latent class models; D21·D24·L92;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- John Loizides & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2004. "Dynamic Distributions of Productivity Growth in European Railways," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(1), pages 45-75, January.
- Pedro Cantos & José Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 1999. "Productivity, efficiency and technical change in the European railways: A non-parametric approach," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 337-357, November.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez & Pedro Cantos, 2002. "Cost And Revenue Inefficiencies In The European Railways," Working Papers. Serie EC 2002-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2003.
"Railway (De) Regulation : A European Efficiency Comparison,"
IDEI Working Papers
221, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2007.
- Friebel, Guido & Ivaldi, Marc & Vibes, Catherine, 2004. "Railway (De)Regulation: A European Efficiency Comparison," CEPR Discussion Papers 4319, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Greene, W., 2001.
"Fixed and Random Effects in Nonlinear Models,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
01-01, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Loizides, John & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2002. "Productivity growth in European railways: a new approach," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 633-644, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Cantos, Pedro & Maudos, Joaquin, 2001. "Regulation and efficiency: the case of European railways," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 459-472, June.
- Heike Wetzel, 2008. "Productivity Growth in European Railways: Technological Progress,Efficiency Change and Scale Effects," Working Paper Series in Economics 101, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2012. "Productivity and Subsidies in the European Union: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126846, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Haider Alzubaidi & Spiros Bougheas, . "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on European Banking Efficiency," Discussion Papers 12/05, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Collier, Trevor & Johnson, Andrew L. & Ruggiero, John, 2011. "Technical efficiency estimation with multiple inputs and multiple outputs using regression analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(2), pages 153-160, January.
- Ogundari, Kolawole & Brummer, Bernhard, 2010. "Estimating Technical Efficiency, Input substitution and complementary effects using Output Distance Function: A study of Cassava production in Nigeria," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 95773, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Latruffe, Laure & Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Moreira, Victor H. & Desjeux, Yann & Dupraz, Pierre, 2011. "Productivity and Subsidies in European Union Countries: An Analysis for Dairy Farms Using Input Distance Frontiers," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114396, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.