Export and Firm Performance: Evidence on Productivity and Profitability of Italian Companies
AbstractEmpirical research in international trade has shown that exporting firms display higher productivity than their non-exporting competitors. This paper focuses on the relation between export and profitability. Our evidence on Italian exporting firms shows that exporting activity is not systematically associated to higher firm’s profitability. This is shown both by means of non-parametric methods and, with an approach that is more standard within the empirical trade literature, by regression techniques that try to identify an “export premium”. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724
trade; export premium; systematic and occasional exporters; productivity; profitability; international competition; F1; D2; L6;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joachim Wagner, 2012.
"International trade and firm performance: a survey of empirical studies since 2006,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(2), pages 235-267, June.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 5916, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2011. "International Trade and Firm Performance: A Survey of Empirical Studies since 2006," Working Paper Series in Economics 210, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Vu, Van Huong, 2012. "Private manufacturing SMEs survival and growth in Vietnam: The role of export participation," MPRA Paper 42489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nanditha Mathew, 2012.
"Drivers of Firm Growth: Micro-evidence from Indian Manufacturing,"
LEM Papers Series
2012/24, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Nanditha Mathew, 2013. "Drivers of Firm Growth: Micro-evidence from Indian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 2013/161, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.