Optimal Pricing of Museum Admission
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of free admission on museum revenue and evaluates the desirability, from an income maximizing perspective, of an additional free day. The model capitalizes on diverse audience composition. Regression analysis is used to estimate marginal shop and restaurant revenue for both art patrons and marginal consumers. Empirical estimation shows that an additional free day would not be profitable. A theoretical model which specifies crowding and “museum recognition” effects is provided as an appendix. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Cultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100284
art; museum; admission fee;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano, 2003. "Valuing cultural heritage in a multi-attribute framework microeconomic perspectives and policy implications," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 549-569, November.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Meier, Stephan, 2006.
"The Economics of Museums,"
Handbook of the Economics of Art and Culture,
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010.
"Pay as You Go: A New Proposal for Museum Pricing,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2010-10, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010. "Pay as you Go: A New Proposal for Museum Pricing," CESifo Working Paper Series 3045, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Lasse Steiner, 2010. "Pay as you go: a new proposal for museum pricing," IEW - Working Papers 485, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Adrian Darnell, 1998. "Some Simple Analytics of Access and Revenue Targets," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 189-196, June.
- Peter Johnson & Barry Thomas, 1998. "The Economics of Museums: A Research Perspective," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 75-85, June.
- García Gracia, Mª Isabel. & Zofío Prieto, José Luis & Herrarte Sánchez, Ainhoa & Moral Carcedo, Julian, 2009. "La aportación económica de la industria de la cultura y el ocio en España/," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 63-88, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.