Valuation and Management of Fishing Resources Under Price Uncertainty
AbstractThe traditional expected-net-present-value methods cannot properly capture the management flexibility and strategic value aspects of a fishery, and may understate its value. Instead, this paper develops a Real Options model to conceptualize and evaluate fishery exploitation flexibility. Specifically, general models to value the opportunity to either exploit or invest in a fishery are presented. They suffice to determine not only these values, but also the optimal policy for opening, closing, delaying and setting its harvest rate. The sustainable case in which the harvest rate equals the natural net growth function is also considered. Concerning the exploitation decision, it is found that, as could be expected, the higher the resource price the higher the value of this opportunity in both models (general and sustainable). However, the resource stock affects both models differently. As to the investment opportunity, its value is always lower than the exploitation opportunity because of investment costs. Finally, numerical simulations are run in order to illustrate the nature of the solution. Sensitivity analysis concerning the influence of the tax rate, convenience yield, risk-free interest rate and price volatility on the value of the fishery is also reported. Copyright Springer 2006
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental & Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
bioeconomic model; fishing resources; management flexibility; Real Options; G13; Q22;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weninger, Quinn & Just, Richard E., 1997. "An Analysis of Transition From Limited Entry to Transferable Quota: Non-Marshallian Principles for Fisheries Management," Staff General Research Papers 5225, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Maza, Arantza Murillas, 2004. "Common Property Under Management Flexibility: Valuation, Optimal Exploitation, And Regulation," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 19(2).
- Anastasios Xepapadeas, 2001. "Irreversible Deveolpment of a Natural Resource: Management rules and policy issues when direct use values and environmental values are uncertain," Working Papers 0111, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Sarkar, Sudipto, 2009. "Optimal fishery harvesting rules under uncertainty," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 272-286, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.