Fishermen's Discount Rates in ITQ Systems
AbstractIn this paper the fishermen's planning and investment horizon is investigated using their discount rates. It is shown that one might calculate the implicit discount rate in an ITQ regulated fishery from the available information from the quota market. This gives information about how well the system is working. In particular, discount rates where ITQ systems are in operation initially were very high, before they started to decrease. This implies that it take some time to reap the full benefits of an ITQ system. It also gives arguments for not letting ITQs be perpetual property rights, and hence, enables more flexibility in the management system. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
fisheries management; ITQ;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Homans, Frances R. & Wilen, James E., 1997. "A Model of Regulated Open Access Resource Use," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Arnason, Ragnar, 1994. "On Catch Discarding in Fisheries," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(3).
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Anderson, Lee G., 1994. "An Economic Analysis of Highgrading in ITQ Fisheries Regulation Programs," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(3).
- Johnson, Ronald N., 1995. "Implications Of Taxing Quota Value In An Individual Transferable Quota Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 10(4).
- Grafton R. Quentin, 1994. "A Note on Uncertainty and Rent Capture in an ITQ Fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 286-294, November.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1981. "Duality Theory and Functional Forms for Dynamic Factor Demands," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 81-95, January.
- Grafton, R. Quentin, 1996. "Implications Of Taxing Quota Value In An Individual Transferable Quota Fishery: Comment," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 11(2).
- Louise S. L. Teh & Lydia C. L. Teh & U. Rashid Sumaila, 2011. "Low Discounting Behavior among Small-Scale Fishers in Fiji and Sabah, Malaysia," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(6), pages 897-913, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.