The impact of OEM supplier initiatives on buyer competence development: The moderating roles of collaborative relationship and competitive environment
AbstractThis paper explains the impact of original equipment manufacturing (OEM) supplier initiatives, which are proactive and deliberate behaviors, on buyer competence development. It argues that these adaptive and proactive behaviors in the outsourcing relationship have a significant impact on buyers’ competence development. The sample population consisted of 800 OEM suppliers in Taiwan. SPSS was used to examine the causal relationships among the variables. The empirical results indicate that OEM supplier initiatives have a positive effect on buyer competence development. In addition, two of three collaborative relationship variables—information sharing and long-term collaboration—foster the relationship between OEM supplier initiatives and buyer competence development. However, the moderating role of competitive environment has a negative effect on this relationship. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Asia Pacific Journal of Management.
Volume (Year): 30 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 17, 3300 AA Dordrecht, the Netherlands
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106589
OEM supplier; Initiatives; Competence; Competitive environment; Collaborative relationship;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfred Wong & Dean Tjosvold, 2006. "Collectivist values for learning in organizational relationships in China: the role of trust and vertical coordination," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 299-317, September.
- Cockburn, Iain M & Henderson, Rebecca M, 1998. "Absorptive Capacity, Coauthoring Behavior, and the Organization of Research in Drug Discovery," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 157-82, June.
- Danny Miller & Peter H. Friesen, 1984. "A Longitudinal Study of the Corporate Life Cycle," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(10), pages 1161-1183, October.
- Erin Anderson & Barton Weitz, 1989. "Determinants of Continuity in Conventional Industrial Channel Dyads," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 310-323.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Parkhe, Arvind, 1998. "Building trust in international alliances," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 417-437, January.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1994. "Market attractiveness, resource-based capabilities, venture strategies, and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 331-349, July.
- Willem Ziggers, Gerrit & Trienekens, Jacques, 1999. "Quality assurance in food and agribusiness supply chains: Developing successful partnerships," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 271-279, April.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Kelle, Peter & Akbulut, Asli, 2005. "The role of ERP tools in supply chain information sharing, cooperation, and cost optimization," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 41-52, January.
- Homin Chen & Tain-Jy Chen, 1998. "Network Linkages and Location Choice in Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 445-467, September.
- Jung Hoon Derick Sohn, 1994. "Social Knowledge as a Control System: A Proposition and Evidence from the Japanese FDI behavior," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 295-324, June.
- Jeffrey H Dyer & Wujin Chu, 2000. "The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 259-285, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.