The Determinants of Trust in Supplier-Automaker Relationships in the U.S., Japan and Korea
AbstractWe examine the determinants of trust in 453 supplier-automaker relationships in the U.S., Japan, and Korea. We define trust and derive a model of its determinants drawing upon (1) an embeddedness (relationship-based) perspective, (2) a process-based perspective, and (3) an economic (hostage-based) perspective. Our findings indicate strong support for the process-based perspective in all countries; embeddedness was only important in Japan, and the economic hostage-based variable (stock ownership) was not important in any country.© 2000 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2000) 31, 259–285
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bstieler, Ludwig & Hemmert, Martin, 2008. "Developing trust in vertical product development partnerships: A comparison of South Korea and Austria," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 35-46, January.
- Marshall, Ronald Scott, 2003. "Building trust early: the influence of first and second order expectations on trust in international channels of distribution," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 421-443, August.
- Pauline Ratnasingam, 2013. "A Generic Framework for Trust in the Innovation Process," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 5(1), pages 71-90, April.
- Andersson, Ulf & Björkman, Ingmar & Forsgren, Mats, 2005. "Managing subsidiary knowledge creation: The effect of control mechanisms on subsidiary local embeddedness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 521-538, October.
- Feng-Hsu Liu & Hung-Tai Tsou & Lu-Jui Chen, 2013. "The impact of OEM supplier initiatives on buyer competence development: The moderating roles of collaborative relationship and competitive environment," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 1285-1303, December.
- Jung-Nung Chang & Chia-Yi Cheng, 2013. "Effects of school team embeddedness on team trust and potency," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(4), pages 1851-1868, June.
- Fritz, Melanie & Hausen, Tobias, 2009. "Electronic supply network coordination in agrifood networks: Barriers, potentials, and path dependencies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 441-453, October.
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Yasushi UEKI, 2011. "Impacts of Incoming Knowledge on Product Innovation: Technology Transfer in Auto-related Industries in Developing Economies," Working Papers DP-2011-08, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Ueki, Yasushi, 2013. "Supply chain collaboration and responsiveness : a comparison between Thai automotive and electronics industries," IDE Discussion Papers 416, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Emanuela Delbufalo, 2012. "Subjective trust, perceived risk and exchange performance in buyer-supplier relationships," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_10.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Wang, Chun-Ju & Wu, Lei-Yu, 2012. "Team member commitments and start-up competitiveness," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 708-715.
- Francis, John & Mukherji, Ananda & Mukherji, Jyotsna, 2009. "Examining relational and resource influences on the performance of border region SMEs," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 331-343, August.
- Saeki, Yasuo & Horak, Sven, 2013. "The role of trust in cultivating relation-specific skills: The case of a multinational automotive supplier in Japan and Germany," Duisburger Arbeitspapiere Ostasienwissenschaften 95/2013, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of East Asian Studies IN-EAST.
- Ueki, Yasushi, 2013. "Formation of supply chain collaboration and firm performance in the Thai automotive and electronics industries," IDE Discussion Papers 415, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Panayides, Photis M. & Venus Lun, Y.H., 2009. "The impact of trust on innovativeness and supply chain performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 35-46, November.
- Slater, Stephanie & Robson, Matthew J., 2012. "Cultural interpretations of destructive acts and trust in Japanese supply channel relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 357-368.
- Hemmert, Martin & Okamuro, Hiroyuki & Bstieler, Ludwig, 2008. "An Inquiry into the Status and Nature of University-Industry Research Collaborations in Japan and Korea," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 49(2), pages 163-180, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.