Determinants of Market Rent
AbstractRecent empirical work has investigated substantial lists of factors that have been employed to explain market rents for residential income property. These factors range from physical attributes to vacancy rates. To better understand the myriad factors that have been demonstrated to affect apartment rent and, in turn, the valuation of apartment complexes, this paper reviews the existing literature on the apartment rent determination process. Our analysis extends the extant contributions by discussing some of the consistencies and the unresolved issues concerning the factors employed in estimating apartment rent. This survey should provide information for appraisers who make market-derived rent adjustments, for property managers who set apartment rents, and for developers who design apartment projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 6 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Haurin, 1988. "The Duration of Marketing Time of Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 396-410.
- Eubank, Arthur A, Jr & Sirmans, C F, 1979. "The Price Adjustment Mechanism for Rental Housing in the United States," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 163-68, February.
- James R. Frew & G. Donald Jud, 1988. "The Vacancy Rate and Rent Levels in the Commercial Office Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(1), pages 1-8.
- Rosen, Kenneth T & Smith, Lawrence B, 1983. "The Price-Adjustment Process for Rental Housing and the Natural Vacancy Rate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 779-86, September.
- Shilling, James D. & Sirmans, C. F. & Corgel, John B., 1987. "Price adjustment process for rental office space," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 90-100, July.
- Karl L. Guntermann & Stefan Norrbin, 1987. "Explaining the Variability of Apartment Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 321-340.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Larry Ozanne & Thomas G. Thibodeau, 1987. "Microeconomic Estimates of Housing Depreciation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 63(4), pages 372-385.
- Richard J. Buttimer, Jr. & Ronald C. Rutherford & Ron Witten, 1997. "Industrial Warehouse Rent Determinants in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(1), pages 47-56.
- Francois Des Rosiers & Marius Theriault & Laurent Menetrier, 2005. "Spatial Versus Non-Spatial Determinants of Shopping Center Rents: Modeling Location and Neighborhood-Related Factors," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(3), pages 293-320.
- Dubé, Jean & Rosiers, François Des & Thériault, Marius & Dib, Patricia, 2011. "Economic impact of a supply change in mass transit in urban areas: A Canadian example," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 46-62, January.
- Beth Wilson & James Frew, 2007. "Apartment Rents and Locations in Portland, Oregon: 1992 – 2002," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(2), pages 201-218.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "Mass Transportation, Apartment Rent and Property Values," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 1-8.
- G. Donald Jud & John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans, 1996. "What Do We Know about Apartments and Their Markets?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(3), pages 243-258.
- Francois Des Rosiers & Marius Theriault, 1996. "Rental Amenities and the Stability of Hedonic Prices: A Comparative Analysis of Five Market Segments," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 17-36.
- Joseph L. Pagliari, Jr. & James R. Webb, 1996. "On Setting Apartment Rental Rates: A Regression-Based Approach," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 37-62.
- John D. Benjamin & G. Stacy Sirmans & Emily Norman Zietz, 1997. "Security Measures and the Apartment Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 347-358.
- Thomas M. Springer & Neil G. Waller, 1996. "Maintenance of Residential Rental Property: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 12(1), pages 89-100.
- Marcus Allen & Ronald Rutherford & Thomas Thomson, 2009. "Residential Asking Rents and Time on the Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 351-365, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.