The multi-chain Markov switching model
AbstractIn many real phenomena the behaviour of a certain variable, subject to different regimes, depends on the state of other variables or the same variable observed in other subjects, so the knowledge of the state of the latter could be important to forecast the state of the former. In this paper a particular multivariate Markov switching model is developed to represent this case. The transition probabilities of this model are characterized by the dependence on the regime of the other variables. The estimation of the transition probabilities provides useful information for the researcher to forecast the regime of the variables analysed. Theoretical background and an application are shown. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 24 (2005)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- BAUWENS, Luc & otranto, EDOARDO, 2013.
"Modeling the dependence of conditional correlations on volatility,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2013014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Bauwens & E. Otranto, 2013. "Modeling the Dependence of Conditional Correlations on Volatility," Working Paper CRENoS 201304, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- E. Otranto, 2012. "Spillover Effects in the Volatility of Financial Markets," Working Paper CRENoS 201217, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Gbaguidi S. DAVID, 2011.
"Expectations Impact On The Effectiveness Of The Inflation-Real Activity Trade-Off,"
Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 141-182, December.
- Gbaguidi, David Sedo, 2011. "Expectations Impact on the Effectiveness of the Inflation-Real Activity Trade-Off," MPRA Paper 35482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giampiero M. Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2007.
"Volatility transmission across markets: a Multichain Markov Switching model,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 659-670.
- Giampiero Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2006. "Volatility Transmission Across Markets: A Multi-Chain Markov Switching Model," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_04, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Lai, Jing-yi, 2012. "Shock-dependent conditional skewness in international aggregate stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 72-83.
- Giampiero Gallo & Edoardo Otranto, 2007.
"Volatility Spillovers, Interdependence and Comovements: A Markov Switching Approach,"
Econometrics Working Papers Archive
wp2007_11, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Gallo, Giampiero M. & Otranto, Edoardo, 2008. "Volatility spillovers, interdependence and comovements: A Markov Switching approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3011-3026, February.
- Gbaguidi, David Sedo, 2011. "Regime Switching in a New Keynesian Phillips Curve with Non-zero Steady-state Inflation Rate," MPRA Paper 35481, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- A. Khalifa & S. Hammoudeh & E. Otranto & S. Ramchander, 2012. "Volatility Transmission across Currency, Commodity and Equity Markets under Multi-Chain Regime Switching: Implications for Hedging and Portfolio Allocation," Working Paper CRENoS 201214, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Otranto, Edoardo & Calzolari, Giorgio & Di Iorio, Francesca, 2005. "Indirect estimation of Markov switching models with endogenous switching," MPRA Paper 22983, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- M. Bigeco & E. Grosso & E. Otranto, 2008. "Recognizing and Forecasting the Sign of Financial Local Trends using Hidden Markov Models," Working Paper CRENoS 200803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.