The Immediate Impact Of Euro On Intra-Regional Trade: An Event Study Approach
AbstractThis article applies the event study approach to assess the immediate impact of Euro on intra-regional trade among the European Union (EU) members. Here, the post-Euro intra-regional trade has been compared with the pre-Euro intra-regional trade, while the implementation of Euro has been considered as the event. The results show that the trade enhancement at the immediate post-event period is 1.2 times of the immediate pre-event period for France, Germany, Italy and Spain, while immediate trade enhancement for all Euro-members is 1.14 times. The estimation has been statistically justified by using the gravity model. This study thus provides the first empirical evidence on the assessment of currency union impact on intra-regional trade by using the alternative method, the event study approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 35 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Currency Union; Intra-Regional Trade; Event Study; Trade Deepening;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.