Stochastic varying coefficients gravity model: An application in trade analysis
AbstractIn international trade analysis between countries, the central theme is the examination of whether or not there are any significant diff erences between the actual trade and potential trade, given the determinants of trade flows. Thus, estimating the potential trade is an important component in trade analysis. The objective of this paper is to suggest a methodology to estimate the potential trade flows between countries, using the gravity model, which has been established in the literature as the most successful empirical trade flow equation, usually producing a good fit. The application of the method has been demonstrated using trade flows between Australia and its trading partners in the Indian Ocean Rim.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Applied Statistics.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hsiao,Cheng, 2003.
"Analysis of Panel Data,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521522717.
- Drysdale, Peter & Garnaut, Ross, 1982. "Trade Intensities and the Analysis of Bilateral Trade Flows in a Many-Country World : A Survey," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 22(2), pages 62-84, February.
- Yamazawa, Ippei, 1970. "Intensity Analysis of World Trade Flow," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 10(2), pages 61-90, February.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Douglas Nelson & Simone Juhasz Silva, .
"Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model,"
08/21, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Simone Juhasz Silva & Douglas Nelson, 2012. "Does Aid Cause Trade? Evidence from an Asymmetric Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(5), pages 545-577, 05.
- Shiro Armstrong, 2007.
"Measuring Trade and Trade Potential: A Survey,"
Asia Pacific Economic Papers
368, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Soumyananda Dinda, 2011. "Trade Opportunities for Climate Smart Goods and Technologies in Asia," Working Papers 2011/16, Maastricht School of Management.
- Bos,J.W.B. & Laar,M.,van de, 2004.
"Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravitiy Approach,"
041, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Jaap Bos & Mindel van de Laar, 2004. "Explaining Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern Europe: an Extended Gravity Approach," DNB Working Papers 008, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ruhul Salim & Shahriar Kabir, 2010. "The Immediate Impact Of Euro On Intra-Regional Trade: An Event Study Approach," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 35(3), pages 43-55, September.
- A Salim, Ruhu & Mahfuz Kabir, Mohammad, 2011. "Does More Trade Potential Remain in Arab States of the Gulf ?," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 26, pages 217-243.
- Das, Gouranga & Bhattacharya, Swapan K., 2009. "Do south-south trade agreements enhance member countries' trade? evaluating implications for development potential in the context of SAARC," MPRA Paper 37255, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Oct 2010.
- Swapan K. Bhattacharya & Biswanath Bhattacharyay, 2006. "Prospects of Regional Cooperation in Trade, Investment and Finance in Asia: An Empirical Analysis on BIMSTEC Countries and Japan," CESifo Working Paper Series 1725, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rahman, Mizanur, 2008. "The Impact of a Common Currency on East Asian Production Networks and China’s Exports Behavior," MPRA Paper 13931, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2013. "Climate Change Creates Trade Opportunity in India," MPRA Paper 50636, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Oct 2013.
- Ahmed, Shahid, 2010. "India-Korea CEPA: Potentials and Realities," MPRA Paper 26206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2011. "Climate Change and Development: Trade Opportunities of Climate Smart Goods and Technologies in Asia," MPRA Paper 34883, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2011.
- Zwinkels, Remco C.J. & Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd, 2010. "Gravity equations: Workhorse or Trojan horse in explaining trade and FDI patterns across time and space?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 102-115, February.
- Bhattacharya, Swapan K. & Bhattacharyay, Biswa N., 2007. "An empirical analysis on prospects and challenges of BIMSTEC-Japan trade integration," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 509-536, June.
- Biswa N Bhattacharyay & Swapan K. Bhattacharya, 2010. "Free Trade Agreement between People’s Republic of China and India: Likely Impact and Its Implications to Asian Economic Community," Working Papers id:3272, eSocialSciences.
- Bryn Battersby & Robert Ewing, 2005. "International Trade Performance: The Gravity of Australia's Remoteness," Treasury Working Papers 2005-03, Treasury, Australian Government, revised Jun 2005.
- Horsewood, Nicholas & Voicu, Anca Monika, 2011. "Does corruption facilitate trade for the new EU members?," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-53, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.