Regional growth and convergence in the Spanish Provinces
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to quantify the effects of the spatial diffusion of growth, on the convergence process observed among the Spanish regions during the last 20 years. A preliminary study on the beta and sigma regional convergence processes, considering regions as geographically independent elements, is followed by the analysis of the spatial dimension of data: the possibility of spatial interactions among regions is tested using the spatial autocorrelation Moran’s I index. Finally, the spatial autocorrelation detected is included in the beta-convergence model, in order to correct, on the one hand, the statistical inference problems originated in the spatial dependence of regions, and, on the other hand, to be able to quantify the regional spill-over effects of growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa01p193.
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Enrique Lopez Bazo & Esther Vaya Valcarce & Antonio Jose Mora & Jordi Surinach Caralt, 1997. "Regional economic dynamics and convergence in the european union," Working Papers in Economics, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia 12, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Akaike, Hirotugu, 1981. "Likelihood of a model and information criteria," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 3-14, May.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- José María Mella Márquez & Coro Chasco Yrigoyen, 2004. "Urban growth and territorial dynamics in Spain (1985-2001): A spatial econometrics analysis," Urban/Regional, EconWPA 0411003, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.