A Predictive Approach to Model Selection and Multicollinearity
AbstractWe argue for the adoption of a predictive approach to model specification. Specifically, we derive the difference between means and the ratio of determinants of covariance matrices when a subset of explanatory variables is included or excluded from a regression. Results for an economic application are presented as an example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan.-Feb.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- Edward Greenberg & Robert P. Parks, 1993. "A Predictive Approach to Model Selection and Multicollinearity," Econometrics 9308001, EconWPA.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooley, Thomas F & LeRoy, Stephen F, 1981. "Identification and Estimation of Money Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 825-44, December.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Steven Fazzari & Bruce Petersen, 1990. "Investment smoothing with working capital: new evidence on the impact of financial constraints," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1981. "Posterior odds ratios for regression hypotheses : General considerations and some specific results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 151-152, May.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1978. "Jeffreys-Bayes posterior odds ratio and the Akaike information criterion for discriminating between models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-342.
- Panaretos, John & Psarakis, Stelios & Xekalaki, Evdokia & Karlis, Dimitris, 2005. "The Correlated Gamma-Ratio Distribution in Model Evaluation and Selection," MPRA Paper 6355, University Library of Munich, Germany.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.