Behind the Learning Curve: Linking Learning Activities to Waste Reduction
AbstractThis exploratory research on a decade of Total Quality Management in one factory opens up the black box of the learning curve. Based on the organizational learning literature, we derive a quality learning curve that links different types of learning in quality improvement projects to the evolution of the factory's waste rate. Only 25% of the quality improvement projects---which acquired both know-why and know-how---accelerated waste reduction. The other 75% of the projects either impeded or did not affect waste reduction. In complex and dynamic production environments, locally acquired knowledge is difficult to disseminate. The combination of know-why and know-how facilitates its dissemination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
learning-curve; organizational learning; quality; TQM; technological knowledge; experimentation; knowledge transfer;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Su, Hung-Chung & Chen, Yi-Su, 2013. "Unpacking the relationships between learning mechanisms, culture types, and plant performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 728-737.
- Lenfle, Sylvain & Midler, Christophe, 2009. "The launch of innovative product-related services: Lessons from automotive telematics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 156-169, February.
- Gul, Ferdinand A. & Fung, Simon Yu Kit & Jaggi, Bikki, 2009. "Earnings quality: Some evidence on the role of auditor tenure and auditors' industry expertise," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 265-287, June.
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & Khan, Mehmood, 2010. "Managing yield by lot splitting in a serial production line with learning, rework and scrap," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 32-39, March.
- Teyarachakul, Sunantha & Çömez, Doğan & Tarakci, Hakan, 2014. "Steady-state skill levels of workers in learning and forgetting environments: A dynamical system analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 232(1), pages 9-21.
- Sylvain Lenfle & Christophe Midler, 2009. "The Launch of Innovative Product-Related Services: Lessons from automotive telematics," Post-Print halshs-00401124, HAL.
- Harrington, Donna Ramirez, 2012. "Two-stage adoption of different types of pollution prevention (P2) activities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 349-373.
- Biskup, Dirk & Simons, Dirk, 2004. "Common due date scheduling with autonomous and induced learning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 606-616, December.
- Lai, Peng-Jen & Lee, Wen-Chiung, 2011. "Single-machine scheduling with general sum-of-processing-time-based and position-based learning effects," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 467-471, October.
- Nadeau, Marie-Claude & Kar, Ashish & Roth, Richard & Kirchain, Randolph, 2010. "A dynamic process-based cost modeling approach to understand learning effects in manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 223-234, November.
- Carolyn D. Egelman & Dennis Epple & Linda Argote & Erica R.H. Fuchs, 2013. "Learning by Doing in a Multi-Product Manufacturing Environment: Product Variety, Customizations, and Overlapping Product Generations," NBER Working Papers 19674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Weijia & Plante, Robert D. & Tang, Jen, 2013. "Minimum cost allocation of quality improvement targets under supplier process disruption," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(2), pages 388-396.
- Jaber, M.Y. & Goyal, S.K. & Imran, M., 2008. "Economic production quantity model for items with imperfect quality subject to learning effects," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 143-150, September.
- Jonathan R. Clark & Robert S. Huckman & Bradley R. Staats, 2013. "Learning from Customers: Individual and Organizational Effects in Outsourced Radiological Services," NBER Working Papers 18723, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toft-Kehler, Rasmus & Wennberg, Karl & Kim, Phillip H., 2014. "Practice makes perfect: Entrepreneurial-experience curves and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 453-470.
- Robert S. Huckman & Bradley R. Staats, 2008. "Variation in Experience and Team Familiarity: Addressing the Knowledge Acquisition-Application Problem," Harvard Business School Working Papers 09-035, Harvard Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.