Adaptation in the Production Process
AbstractThe paper presents a new type of learning function useful in describing how firms improve their performances in new processes. The function, termed the "adaptation function," is shown to be capable of being related to variables that may affect a firm's rate of learning. Next, these variables are discussed, and the adaptation function is fitted to some actual sets of data. Finally, the paper turns to some normative implications of the function. Specifically, the adaptation function is shown to be useful to firms in their budgeting of training and in aiding their equipment replacement decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 11 (1965)
Issue (Month): 6 (April)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & Guiffrida, Alfred L., 2004. "Learning curves for processes generating defects requiring reworks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 663-672, December.
- Lundmark, Robert, 2008. "Empirical specification of cost reductions associated with accumulated knowledge in the Swedish kraft paper industry," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(7-8), pages 460-466, October.
- Demeester, Lieven L. & Qi, Mei, 2005. "Managing learning resources for consecutive product generations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 265-283, February.
- Fioretti, Guido, 2009. "From men and machines to the organizational learning curve," MPRA Paper 19392, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arumugam, V. & Antony, Jiju & Kumar, Maneesh, 2013. "Linking learning and knowledge creation to project success in Six Sigma projects: An empirical investigation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 388-402.
- Vits, Jeroen & Gelders, Ludo, 2002. "Performance improvement theory," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 285-298, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.