Is North and Southeast Asia becoming a yen block?
AbstractWe examine the evidence of an emerging yen block in North and Southeast Asia using up to 27 years of weekly data on 9 bilateral yen exchange rates. The exchange rate returns are modelled in response to variations in their US dollar, German mark, and UK pound effective counterparts using a general-to-specific dynamic estimation strategy. We also investigate the pattern of regional trade integration over time. The results suggest increasing intra-regional trade integration, particularly regarding Japanese trade integration with the region. They also indicate the decreasing influence of the US dollar in terms of magnitude, the German mark in terms of scope and the UK pound in terms of both magnitude and scope with respect to exchange rate determination in the region. These findings are consistent with an emerging yen influence although not a de facto yen block. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bowman, Chakriya, 2005. "Yen bloc or koala bloc? Currency relationships after the East Asian crisis," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 83-96, January.
- Leonardo Hernández & Peter Montiel, 2001.
"Post-Crisis Exchange Rate Policy in Five Asian Countries: Filling in the "Hollow Middle"?,"
Center for Development Economics
167, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Leonardo Hernández & Peter Montiel, 2002. "Post-crisis exchange rate policy in five Asian countries: filling in the 'hollow middle'?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Hernandez, Leonardo & Montiel, Peter J., 2003. "Post-crisis exchange rate policy in five Asian countries: Filling in the "hollow middle"?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 336-369, September.
- Leonardo HernÃ¡ndez & Peter Montiel, 2001. "Post-Crisis Exchange Rate Policy in Five Asian Countries: Filling in the "Hollow Middle"?," IMF Working Papers 01/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Leonardo Hernández & Peter J. Montiel, 2002. "Post-crisis exchange rate policy in five Asian countries: filling in the "hollow middle"?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 2002-07, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Leonardo Hernández & Peter Montiel, 2001. "Post-Crisis Exchange Rate Policy in Five Asian Countries: Filling in the “Hollow Middle”?," Department of Economics Working Papers 2001-05, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000.
"On Regional Monetary Arrangements For ASEAN,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2411, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry & Mauro, Paolo, 2000. "On Regional Monetary Arrangements for ASEAN," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 121-148, June.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Montanes, Antonio & Ponz, Monserrat, 2000. "Evidence of long-run purchasing power parity: analysis of real asian exchange rates in terms of the Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 351-361, December.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Kim, Hyeongwoo & Min, Hong-Ghi, 2013.
"Reassessing the link between the Japanese yen and emerging Asian currencies,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 306-326.
- Bong-Han Kim & Hyeongwoo Kim & Hong-Ghi Min, 2011. "Reassessing the Link between the Japanese Yen and Emerging Asian Currencies," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2011-05, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Min, Hong-Ghi & McDonald, Judy & Hwang, Young-Soon, 2012. "Yen-synchronization of floating East Asian currencies: A regime-switching regression model and micro-structural analysis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-232.
- Kocenda, Evzen & Hanousek, Jan & Engelmann, Dirk, 2008. "Currencies, competition, and clans," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1115-1132.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.