Altruistic Bequests with Inherited Tastes
AbstractThis paper examines the altruistic model of bequest when a child inherits life standard aspirations from his parents. We prove that the impact of the aspiration effect on transfers can be positive or negative, depending on both the strength of inherited tastes and the coefficients of risk aversion for the parent and the child. However, numerical illustrations indicate that the case for a negative effect is rather weak. Using a French data set on transfers within the family, we investigate how transmission habits affect the level of private assistance. We show that parents are more likely to help their children when they have themselves received money from their own parents. Hence, any public program that affects current transfers also influences family transfers in the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan in its journal International Journal of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
altruism; bequest; inherited tastes; risk aversion;
Other versions of this item:
- D64 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Altruism; Philanthropy
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2000.
"Shaping intergenerational relationships the demonstration effect,"
38512, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2000. "Shaping intergenerational relationships: the demonstration effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 255-261, September.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2002. "Cultural evolutionary altruism: theory and evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-262, June.
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A., 1999.
"Family Transfers Involving Three Generations,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- de la Croix, David, 1996.
"The Dynamics of Bequeathed Tastes,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1996004, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- François-Charles Wolff & Luc Arrondel, 1998. "La nature des transferts inter vivos en France : investissements humains, aides financières et transmission du patrimoine," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 135(4), pages 1-27.
- Masson, A. & Pestieau, P., 1996.
"Bequests motives and models of inheritance: a survey of the literature,"
DELTA Working Papers
96-20, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Masson, A. & Pestieau, P., . "Bequests motives and models of inheritance: A survey of the literature," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1273, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arrondel, L. & Laferrere, A., 1998.
"Taxation and Wealth Transmission in France,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-13, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Cigno, Alessandro & C. Giannelli, Gianna & Rosati, Furio C., 1998. "Voluntary transfers among Italian households: altruistic and non-altruistic explanations," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 435-451, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Fumio Hayashi & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1995.
"Parental Altruism and Inter Vivos Transfers: Theory and Evidence,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
65, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Hayashi, Fumio & Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1997. "Parental Altruism and Inter Vivos Transfers: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1121-66, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Fumio Hayashi & Laurence Kotlikoff, 1995. "Parental Altruism and Inter Vivos Transfers: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Fumio Hayashi & Laurence Kotlikoff, . "Parental Altruism and Inter Vivos Transfers: Theory and Evidence," IPR working papers 95-22, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Becker, Gary S, 1993. "Nobel Lecture: The Economic Way of Looking at Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 385-409, June.
- Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2006. "Microeconomic models of family transfers," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- de la Croix, David, 2000. "Standard-of-Living Aspirations and Economic Cycles," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000008, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2004.
"Aspirations, Habit Formation, and Bequest Motive,"
136, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jordi Caballé & Ana I. Moro-Egido, 2008.
"The Effect of Aspirations, Habits, and Social Security on the Distribution of Wealth,"
352, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Jordi Caballé & Ana Moro-Egido, 2008. "The Effect of Aspirations, Habits, and Social Security on the Distribution of Wealth," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 761.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jordi Caballé & Ana I. Moro Egido, 2008. "The Effect of Aspirations, Habits, and Social Security on the Distribution of Wealth," ThE Papers 08/02, Department of Economic Theory and Economic History of the University of Granada..
- Alberto Bisin & Thierry Verdier, 2010. "The Economics of Cultural Transmission and Socialization," NBER Working Papers 16512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwarze, Johannes, 2004. "Living Conditions of Children and Parental Well-Being – Evidence from German Data on Life Satisfaction," IZA Discussion Papers 1200, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.