Shaping intergenerational relationships the demonstration effect
AbstractAccording to the demonstration effect theory, parents make intergenerational transfers to their elders in order to elicit a symmetric future behavior from their children. In this paper we show that upstream transfers are expected to increase with low returns from alternative financial assets and with the donor’s life expectancy. The latter effect creates a greater incentive for daughters to care for parents.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 38512.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Family ; Intergenerational transfer; Demonstration effect; Imitation;
Other versions of this item:
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2000. "Shaping intergenerational relationships: the demonstration effect," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 255-261, September.
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cigno, Alessandro, 1993. "Intergenerational transfers without altruism : Family, market and state," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 505-518, November.
- Donald Cox & Oded Stark, 1996. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Demonstration Effect," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 329., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Anne Laferrere, 1997.
"Intergenerational Transmission Models :A Survey,"
97-23, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Anne Laferrere, 1999. "Intergenerational Transmission Models: A Survey," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 2-26, January.
- Bergstrom, T., 1995.
"Economics of a Family Way,"
95-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- Ted Bergstrom, 1995.
"Economic in a Family Way,"
_028, University of Michigan, Department of Economics.
- Cox, Donald, 1990. "Intergenerational Transfers and Liquidity Constraints," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 187-217, February.
- Francois-Charles Wolff, 2001. "Private intergenerational contact in France and the demonstration effect," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-153.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2002. "Cultural evolutionary altruism: theory and evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 241-262, June.
- Partha Deb & Cagla Okten & Una Okonkwo Osili, 2002.
"Giving to Family versus Giving to the Community Within and Across Generations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College
02/6, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Partha Deb & Cagla Okten & Una Osili, 2010. "Giving to family versus giving to the community within and across generations," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 963-987, June.
- Mohamed Jellal & Francois-Charles Wolff, 2002.
"Insecure old-age security,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 54(4), pages 636-648, October.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2005.
"Dynamique des transferts intergénérationnels et effet de démonstration
[Dynamics of Intergenerational Transfers and the Demonstration Effect]," MPRA Paper 38419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mohamed JELLAL & François-Charles WOLFF, 2005. "Dynamique des transferts intergénérationnels et effet de démonstration," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 77, pages 81-107.
- Mitrut, Andreea & Wolff, François-Charles, 2009. "A causal test of the demonstration effect theory," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 52-54, April.
- Ken Yamada, 2006.
"Intra-family transfers in Japan: intergenerational co-residence, distance, and contact,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1839-1861.
- Ken Yamada, 2003. "Intra-family Transfers in Japan: Intergenerational Co-residence, Distance, andContact," ISER Discussion Paper 0575, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2002.
"Altruistic bequests with inherited tastes,"
38447, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & Bouzahzah, Mohamed, 2012.
"Social security family finance and demography,"
38804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jellal, Mohamed & wolff, François charles, 2003.
"Solidarités familiales par la démonstration
[Familial solidariies and the demonstration effect]," MPRA Paper 38438, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gimenez-Nadal, Jose Ignacio & Marcén, Miriam & Molina, José Alberto, 2007. "How Does the Presence of Children Affect Dependent Care? A Psycho-Economic Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 2726, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.