Discriminating Monopoly, Forward Markets and International Trade
AbstractThis paper analyzes the effect of uncertainty on output and export of a price-discriminating firm which sells its produce both in domestic and world markets. It is shown that under some conditions exports increase when uncertainty is introduced. In the presence of forward markets a "separation theorem" holds and total output increases to the competitive firm level, while exports are larger than those of the competitive firm. Copyright 1987 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agathe Cote, 1994. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade," International Trade 9406001, EconWPA, revised 23 Jun 1994.
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Wälde, Klaus, 2006.
"International Trade, Hedging and the Demand for Forward Contracts,"
W.E.P. - WÃ¼rzburg Economic Papers
69, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Jens Eisenschmidt & Klaus Wälde, 2007. "International Trade, Hedging, and the Demand for Forward Contracts," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 414-429, 05.
- Jens, EISENSCHMIDT & Klaus, WAELDE, 2003. "International Trade, Hedging and the Demand for Forward Contracts," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2003022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Eisenschmidt, Jens & Wälde, Klaus, 2003. "International trade, hedging and the demand for forward contracts," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 19/03, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Kendall, J.D., 1991.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and International Prices,"
377, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Udo Broll, 1993. "Foreign production and international hedging in a multinational firm," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 425-432, December.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Kendall, Jon D., 1997.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and purchasing power parity,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 237-261, August.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Kendall, J.D., 1994. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Purchasing Power Parity," Papers 1994-06, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Jon D. Kendall, 1994. "Passthrough of Exchange Rates and Purchasing Power Parity," NBER Working Papers 4842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lioui, Abraham & Eldor, Rafael, 1998. "Optimal spreading when spreading is optimal," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 277-301, September.
- Frank Lehrbass, 1994. "Optimal hedging with currency forwards, calls, and calls on forwards for the competitive exporting firm facing exchange rate uncertainty," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 59(1), pages 51-70, February.
- Wei, Shang-Jin, 1999.
"Currency hedging and goods trade,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1371-1394, June.
- Alejandro Riaño, 2011.
"Exports, investment and firm-level sales volatility,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 147(4), pages 643-663, November.
- Alejandro Riaño, 2011. "Exports, Investment and Firm-Level Sales Volatility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3319, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agathe Cote, . "Exchange Rate Volatility and Trade: A Survey," Working Papers 94-5, Bank of Canada.
- Eldor, Rafael & Zilcha, Itzhak, 2002. "Tax asymmetry, production and hedging," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 345-356.
- Axel F. A. Adam-Müller, 2001. "What to Do if Dollar is Not a Dollar? The Impact of Inflation Risk on Production and Risk Management," CoFE Discussion Paper 01-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2007. "Operational and financial hedging for exporting firms," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 459-470.
- Alejandro Riaño, . "The Decision to Export and the Volatility of Sales," Discussion Papers 10/12, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Wong Kit Pong, 2002. "Export-Flexible Firms and Forward Markets," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 81-95.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.