The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure: Evidence for a Small Open Economy
AbstractThis study examines the economic exchange rate exposure of 22 industries in Pakistan. The key findings of the study are: firstly, the findings show that industry-level share values are statistically significantly influenced by changes in the Pakistani Rupee (PKR)/US-dollar exchange rate, in general. Secondly, a statistically significant lagged response of stock values to exchange rate change is reported. Finally, the highly capital-intensive industries are, however, found to be more exposed to changes in exchange rate in comparison to the less capital-intensive industries. Further, the robustness of the exchange rate exposure does not fall over time.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): VIII (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Rashid, Abdul, 2009. "The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure: Evidence for a Small Open Economy," MPRA Paper 21500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon M. Bodnar & M.H. Franco Wong, 2000. "Estimating Exchange Rate Exposures: Some "Weighty" Issues," NBER Working Papers 7497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kathryn M.E Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"A Re-Examination of Exchange Rate Exposure,"
465, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Kent D Miller & Jeffrey J Reuer, 1998. "Firm Strategy and Economic Exposure to Foreign Exchange Rate Movements," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 493-513, September.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Dumas, Bernard & Marston, Richard C., 2000.
"Pass-through and Exposure,"
00-4, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Entorf, Horst & Moebert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2007. "The foreign exchange rate rate exposure of nations," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-005, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gao, Ting, 2000. "Exchange rate movements and the profitability of U.S. multinationals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 117-134, February.
- Pritamani, Mahesh D. & Shome, Dilip K. & Singal, Vijay, 2004. "Foreign exchange exposure of exporting and importing firms," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1697-1710, July.
- Jongmoo Jay Choi & Anita Mehra Prasad, 1995. "Exchange Risk Sensitivity and Its Determinants: A Firm and Industry Analysis of U.S. Multinationals," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(3), Fall.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Timothy A Luehrman, 1991. "Exchange Rate Changes and the Distribution of Industry Value," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 619-649, December.
- Bartov, Eli & Bodnar, Gordon M, 1994. " Firm Valuation, Earnings Expectations, and the Exchange-Rate Exposure Effect," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1755-85, December.
- Martin Glaum & Marko Brunner & Holger Himmel, 2000. "The DAX and the Dollar: The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure of German Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 715-724, December.
- Entorf, Horst & Möbert, Jochen & Sonderhof, Katja, 2006.
"The Foreign Exchange Rate Exposure of Nations,"
Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics
36755, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.