The DAX and the Dollar: The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure of German Corporations
AbstractThis paper examines the economic exposure of German corporations to changes in the DM/US-dollar exchange-rate. Our work contributes to the existing body of literature in the following ways. Firstly, we point out conceptual problems of previous attempts to estimate economic exposure. Secondly, we find that German firms are significantly exposed to changes in the DM/US-dollar rate. However, our results are unstable over time.© 2000 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (2000) 31, 715–724
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hutson, Elaine & O'Driscoll, Anthony, 2010. "Firm-level exchange rate exposure in the Eurozone," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 468-478, October.
- Koutmos, Gregory & Martin, Anna D., 2007. "Modeling time variation and asymmetry in foreign exchange exposure," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 61-74, February.
- Sohnke M. Bartram, 2002.
"Linear and Nonlinear Foreign Exchange Rate Exposures of German Nonfinancial Corporations,"
- Bartram, Sohnke M., 2004. "Linear and nonlinear foreign exchange rate exposures of German nonfinancial corporations," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 673-699, June.
- Abdul Rashid, 2010.
"The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure: Evidence for a Small Open Economy,"
The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics,
IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 46-58, November.
- Rashid, Abdul, 2009. "The Economic Exchange Rate Exposure: Evidence for a Small Open Economy," MPRA Paper 21500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sercu, Piet & Vandebroek, Martina, 2006. "Orthogonalized regressors and spurious precision," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/120985, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Entorf & Jamin, 2005.
"German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs,"
- Horst Entorf & Gösta Jamin, 2007. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Levels, International Trade and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 344-374, 08.
- Jamin, Gösta & Entorf, Horst, 2004. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Entorf, Horst & Jamin, Gösta, 2003. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 20147, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Mario Marazzi & Nathan Sheets & Robert J. Vigfusson & Jon Faust & Joseph Gagnon & Jaime Marquez & Robert F. Martin & Trevor Reeve & John Rogers, 2005. "Exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: some new evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 833, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Aysun, Uluc & Guldi, Melanie, 2011.
"Exchange rate exposure: A nonparametric approach,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 321-337.
- Horobet, Alexandra & Ilie, Livia, 2007. "On the dynamic link between stock prices and exchange rates: evidence from Romania," MPRA Paper 6429, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Burns, Natasha & Helwege, Jean, 2007. "Foreign Currency Exposure and Hedging: Evidence from Foreign Acquisitions," MPRA Paper 10122, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Aug 2008.
- Muller, Aline & Verschoor, Willem F.C., 2006. "Foreign exchange risk exposure: Survey and suggestions," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 385-410, October.
- Jong, A. de & Ligterink, J. & Macrae, V., 2002. "A Firm-Specific Analysis of the Exchange-Rate Exposure of Dutch Firms," Research Paper ERS-2002-109-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Boudt, Kris & Liu, Fang & Sercu, Piet, 2012. "Equities' exposures to currencies: Beyond the loglinear model," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/341158, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.