Dollarization in Argentina
AbstractSeveral countries are seriously considering the abandonment of their currency and its formal replacement with the U.S. dollar. Since 1991, Argentina has backed its currency with 100 percent reserves and successfully pegged it to the dollar. In doing so, it has already grappled with many issues that confront would-be adopters of the dollar. Moving to full-fledged dollarization might offer a solution to recurring crises that are partly driven by expectations that Argentina might abandon its peg.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its journal Chicago Fed Letter.
Volume (Year): (1999)
Issue (Month): Jun ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1998.
"Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
6758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2001. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(6), pages 1155-1197, December.
- Burnside, C. & Eichenbaum, M. & Rebelo, S., 1998. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crisis," RCER Working Papers 458, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Craig Burnside & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 1998. "Prospective deficits and the Asian currency crisis," Working Paper Series WP-98-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Burnside, A Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1998. "Prospective Deficits and the Asian Currency Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 2015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1999. "Prospective deficits and the asian currency crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2174, The World Bank.
- Thomas Sargent & Noah Williams & Tao Zha, 2006.
"The Conquest of South American Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
12606, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arthur J. Rolnick & Warren E. Weber, 1998. "Money, inflation, and output under fiat and commodity standards," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr, pages 11-17.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2001.
"Stabilization Policy and the Costs of Dollarization,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 482-509, May.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Stabilization policy and the costs of dollarization," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 482-517.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2000. "Stabilization Policy and the Costs of Dollarization," Departmental Working Papers 200006, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Harold L. Cole & Timothy J. Kehoe, 1998.
"Self-fulfilling debt crises,"
211, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Schwartz, Anna J., 1993. "Currency boards: their past, present, and possible future role," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 147-187, December.
- Ferro, Gustavo, 2001. "Currency Board: From Stabilization to Full Dollarization? The Argentine Experience," MPRA Paper 15353, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Malliaris, A. G., 2002. "Global monetary instability: The role of the IMF, the EU and NAFTA," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 72-92, May.
- Alexandre MINDA (LEREPS-GRES), 2005. "Official dollarization : a last resort solution to financial instability in Latin America ?," Cahiers du GRES 2005-02, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Paul Hallwood & Ian W. Marsh & Jorg Scheibe, 2001. "Official Dollarization in Latin America: Could it Work?," Working papers 2001-06, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Alexandre Minda, 2005. "La dollarisation intégrale : une option monétaire de dernier ressort pour l'Amérique latine ?," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 130(2), pages 15-39.
- PONSOT, Jean-François, 2002. "La dollerisation des économies émergentes," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2002-02, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Jérôme Blanc, 2014. ""Argentina o dolarización", ou quand la monnaie revient à la souveraineté," Post-Print halshs-01016336, HAL.
- Rachel McCulloch & Blake LeBaron, 2000. "Floating, Fixed, or Super-Fixed? Dollarization Joins the Menu of Exchange-Rate Options," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 32-37, May.
- Kamin, Steven B. & Ericsson, Neil R., 2003. "Dollarization in post-hyperinflationary Argentina," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 185-211, April.
- Huberto M. Ennis, 2000. "Banking and the political support for dollarization," Working Paper 00-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Russell W. Cooper & Hubert Kempf., 2001. "Dollarization and the conquest of hyperinflation in divided societies," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 3-12.
- Kurasawa, Kazutaka & Marty, Alvin L., 2007. ""Optimal" inflation under dollarization," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 251-264, March.
- Gaetano Antinolfi & Todd Keister, 2001. "Dollarization as a monetary arrangement for emerging market economies," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov., pages 29-40.
- Hsing, Y., 2004. "Responses of Argentine Output to Shocks to Monetary Policy, Fiscal Policy and Exchange Rates: A VAR Model," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 4(1).
- Liliana Schumacher & Jiro Honda, 2006. "Adopting Full Dollarization in Postconflict Economies," IMF Working Papers 06/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Ferro, Gustavo, 2001.
"De bancos centrales, juntas monetarias y dolarización
[On central banks, currency boards and dollarization]," MPRA Paper 15354, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.