Policymaking under uncertainty: Gradualism and robustness
AbstractSome economists have recommended the robust control approach to the formulation of monetary policy under uncertainty when policymakers cannot attach probabilities to the scenarios that concern them. One critique of this approach is that it seems to imply aggressive policies under uncertainty, contrary to the conventional wisdom of acting more gradually in an uncertain environment. This article argues that aggressiveness is not a generic feature of robust control.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago in its journal Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): Q II ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
485, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Christopher A. Sims, 2001. "Pitfalls of a Minimax Approach to Model Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 51-54, May.
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005.
"Stochastic optimization and worst-case analysis in monetary policy design,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/14, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Stan Žaković & Volker Wieland & Berc Rustem, 2007. "Stochastic Optimization and Worst-Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 329-347, November.
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005. "Stochastic Optimization and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," CEPR Discussion Papers 5019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- S. Zakovic & V. Wieland & B. Rustem, 2004. "Stochastic Optimisation and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 213, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Monetary policy under uncertainty," Speech 327, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:oct19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006.
"Dynamic Variational Preferences,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
1, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Manski, Charles F., 2000. "Identification problems and decisions under ambiguity: Empirical analysis of treatment response and normative analysis of treatment choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 415-442, April.
- Giannoni, Marc P., 2002. "Does Model Uncertainty Justify Caution? Robust Optimal Monetary Policy In A Forward-Looking Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 111-144, February.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2011.
"Robustness and Macroeconomic Policy,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 1-24, 09.
- R. Gerke & F. Hammermann & V. Lewis, 2011. "Robust Monetary Policy in a Model with Financial Distress," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/767, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Julian A. Parra-Polania & Carmiña O. Vargas, 2014.
"Changes in GDP’s measurement error volatility and response of the monetary policy rate: two approaches,"
Borradores de Economia
814, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Julian A. Parra-Polania & Carmiña O. Vargas, 2014. "Changes in GDP’s measurement error volatility and response of the monetary policy rate: two approaches," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 011146, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerke, Rafael & Hammermann, Felix & Lewis, Vivien, 2012. "Robust monetary policy in a model with financial distress," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 318-325.
- Martin Ellison & Thomas J. Sargent, 2009.
"A defence of the FOMC,"
Economics Series Working Papers
457, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christian Aubin & Ibrahima Diouf & Dominique Pepin, 2010. "Inertie De La Politique Monétaire Dans La Zone Euro : Le Rôle De L'Hétérogénéité," Post-Print hal-00960030, HAL.
- Karantounias, Anastasios G., 2013. "Managing pessimistic expectations and fiscal policy," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 8(1), January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.