Robust monetary policy in a model with financial distress
AbstractWe characterise optimal discretionary monetary policy responses to cost-push shocks and to financial distress in the presence of model uncertainty. Under robust control, the central bank reacts more aggressively to both types of shocks, and less to the lagged policy rate, than if the true model is known. We document how the objective to stabilise the policy instrument conflicts with the concern for robustness to model misspecification: the higher the weight on interest rate stabilisation in the loss function, the more the robust policy deviates from the optimal policy under rational expectations. Financial distress is akin to a contractionary demand shock and does not induce a policy trade-off; thus model uncertainty does not constrain monetary policy in the face of financial shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622617
Optimal monetary policy; Discretion; Model uncertainty; Interest rate stabilisation; Robust control;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giordani, Paolo & Söderlind, Paul, 2002.
"Solution of Macromodels with Hansen-Sargent Robust Policies: Some Extensions,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
499, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 15 May 2003.
- Giordani, Paolo & Soderlind, Paul, 2004. "Solution of macromodels with Hansen-Sargent robust policies: some extensions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2367-2397, December.
- Kuester, Keith & Wieland, Volker, 2005.
"Insurance policies for monetary policy in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0480, European Central Bank.
- Keith Kuester & Volker Wieland, 2010. "Insurance Policies for Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(4), pages 872-912, 06.
- Keith Kuester & Volker Wieland, 2010. "Insurance Policies for Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 872-912, 06.
- Küster, Keith & Wieland, Volker, 2005. "Insurance Policies for Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 4956, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Kuester & Volker Wieland, 2008. "Insurance Policies for Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Discussion Papers 07-044, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Volker Wieland & Keith Kuester, 2005. "Insurance Policies for Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 100, Society for Computational Economics.
- Keith Kuester & Volker Wieland, 2008. "Insurance policies for monetary policy in the euro area," Working Papers 08-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Küster, Keith & Wieland, Volker, 2005. "Insurance policies for monetary policy in the Euro area," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/13, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Söderlind, Paul, 1998.
"Solution and Estimation of RE Macromodels with Optimal Policy,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
256, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Soderlind, Paul, 1999. "Solution and estimation of RE macromodels with optimal policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 813-823, April.
- Marvin Goodfriend, 1990.
"Interest rates and the conduct of monetary policy,"
90-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1991. "Interest rates and the conduct of monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 7-30, January.
- Thomas J. Sargent & Riccardo Colacito & Lars P. Hansen & Timothy Cogley, 2008. "Robustness and US Monetary," 2008 Meeting Papers 228, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2008.
"Robust monetary policy in a small open economy,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 3218-3252, October.
- Leitemo , Kai & Söderström , Ulf, 2005. "Robust monetary policy in a small open economy," Research Discussion Papers 20/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Kai Leitemo & Ulf Söderstrom, 2005. "Robust Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy," Working Papers 290, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2005. "Robust Monetary Policy in a Small Open Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5071, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Juha Kilponen & Kai Leitemo, 2008. "Model Uncertainty and Delegation: A Case for Friedman's "k"-Percent Money Growth Rule?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(2-3), pages 547-556, 03.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007.
"Banking and Interest Rates in Monetary Policy Analysis: A Quantitative Exploration,"
NBER Working Papers
13207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007. "Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: a quantitative exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Goodfriend, Marvin & McCallum, Bennett T., 2007. "Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: A quantitative exploration," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1480-1507, July.
- Gadi Barlevy, 2009. "Policymaking under uncertainty: Gradualism and robustness," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q II, pages 38-55.
- John C. Williams, 2009.
"Heeding Daedalus: Optimal inflation and the zero lower bound,"
Working Paper Series
2009-23, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- John C. Williams, 2009. "Heeding Daedalus: Optimal Inflation and the Zero Lower Bound," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 40(2 (Fall)), pages 1-49.
- Carl E. Walsh, 2010. "Monetary Theory and Policy, Third Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262013770, December.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Peter Tillmann, 2007.
"Robust Monetary Policy with the Cost Channel,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
278, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Gerke, Rafael & Hammermann, Felix, 2011. "Robust monetary policy in a new Keynesian model with imperfect interest rate pass-through," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Casares Miguel & Poutineau Jean-Christophe, 2011.
"Short-Run and Long-Run Effects of Banking in a New Keynesian Model,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-41, May.
- Miguel Casares & Jean-Christophe Poutineau, 2010. "Short-run and Long-run Effects of Banking in a New Keynesian Model," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 1002, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Giannoni, Marc P., 2002. "Does Model Uncertainty Justify Caution? Robust Optimal Monetary Policy In A Forward-Looking Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 111-144, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.