New Approaches to Stress Testing the Czech Banking Sector (in English)
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of the stress testing of the Czech banking sector conducted by the Czech National Bank. The paper begins by updating historical and hypothetical stress-testing scenarios. It also includes a sensitivity analysis of the interest-rate risk and new presentation forms of such. The results of interbank contagion tests (both simple and combined) based on Czech banks’ exposures on the interbank market are offered. Finally, the paper integrates the stress testing with CNB macroeconomic forecasts (i.e., the quasi-phase-matching model). The authors’ stress testing was also integrated with the macroeconomic credit-risk model, with the impact on individual bank portfolios, and with interbank contagion. One baseline and three alternative scenarios were tested they have shown that the Czech banking sector was relatively resilient to the shocks. However, the exercise also revealed certain limitations of the stress-testing approach, to which the authors offer recommendations for the further development of this apparatus.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 57 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (March)
Czech banking sector; financial sector; interbank contagion; macroeconomic model of credit risk; stress testing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cottarelli, Carlo & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Vladkova-Hollar, Ivanna, 2005.
"Early birds, late risers, and sleeping beauties: Bank credit growth to the private sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Ivanna Vladkova Hollar & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Carlo Cottarelli, 2003. "Early Birds, Late Risers, and Sleeping Beauties: Bank Credit Growth to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans," IMF Working Papers 03/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2004.
"Estimating bilateral exposures in the German interbank market: Is there a danger of contagion?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 827-849, August.
- Upper, Christian & Worms, Andreas, 2002. "Estimating Bilateral Exposures in the German Interbank Market: Is there a Danger of Contagion?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hans Degryse & Grégory Nguyen, 2004.
"Interbank exposures: an empirical examination of systemic risk in the Belgian banking system,"
Working Paper Research
43, National Bank of Belgium.
- Degryse, H.A. & Nguyen, G., 2004. "Interbank Exposures: An Empirical Examination of Systemic Risk in the Belgian Banking System," Discussion Paper 2004-4, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Adam Gersl & Petr Jakubik & Tomas Konecny & Jakub Seidler, 2012. "Dynamic Stress Testing: The Framework for Testing Banking Sector Resilience Used by the Czech National Bank," Working Papers 2012/11, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Adam Gersl & Jakub Seidler, 2010. "Stress Test Verification as Part of an Advanced Stress-Testing Framework," Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes, in: CNB Financial Stability Report 2009/2010, chapter 0, pages 92-101 Czech National Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.