Dublin Jewish Demography a Century Ago
AbstractThis paper examines the demography of Ireland’s Jewish community a century ago. Its focus is on Dublin Jewry, then mainly a community of immigrants from the Tsarist Empire and their children. It compares the marital fertility and infant and child mortality of immigrant couples with those of native couples living in the same neighbourhood. While ‘economic’ variables are shown to have mattered, there remains a large ‘cultural’ component to the distinctive demography of Jewish households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 37 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O Grada, Cormac & Duffy, Niall, 1995.
"Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 423-31, November.
- Duffy, Niall & O'Gráda, Cormac, 1995. "Fertility Control Early in Marriage in Ireland a Century Ago," CEPR Discussion Papers 1109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2002. "Infant and Child Mortality in Dublin a Century Ago," Working Papers 200228, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- O'Gráda, Cormac, 1991.
"New Evidence on the Fertility Transition in Ireland 1880-1911,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
531, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cormac Gráda, 1991. "New evidence on the fertility transition in Ireland 1880–1911," Demography, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 535-548, November.
- Hans-Peter Kohler & Jere R. Behrman & Susan Cotts Watkins, 1999. "The structure of social networks and fertility decisions: evidence from S. Nyanza District, Kenya," MPIDR Working Papers WP-1999-005, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Kohler, Hans-Peter, 2001. "Fertility and Social Interaction: An Economic Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199244591.
- Stolz, Yvonne & Baten, Joerg, 2012.
"Brain drain in the age of mass migration: Does relative inequality explain migrant selectivity?,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 205-220.
- Yvonne Stolz & Jörg Baten, 2012. "Brain Drain in the Age of Mass Migration: Does Relative Inequality Explain Migrant Selectivity?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3705, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.