Income Inequality and Inflation in the EU
AbstractThe main aim of this research is to analyze the relationship between income inequality and inflation in 13 European countries for the period 2000 to 2009 using panel data methodology. The GINI coefficient has been used to measure the income inequality while the inflation rate, the growth rate, the employment level and the openness of the economies have been used as independent variables. The results support the hypothesis that inflation has a positive significant effect on income inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Research Studies Journal in its journal European Research Studies Journal.
Volume (Year): XV (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.ersj.eu/
Inflation; Gini Coefficient; Income Inequality; European Union; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Thalassinos, 2007. "Trade Regionalization, Exchange Rate Policies and EU-US Economic Cooperation," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1-2), pages 111-118.
- Florence Bouvet, 2010. "EMU and the dynamics of regional per capita income inequality in Europe," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 323-344, September.
- Christopher W. Crowe, 2006.
"Inflation, Inequality, and Social Conflict,"
IMF Working Papers
06/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Chris Crowe, 2004. "Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 69, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher Crowe, 2004. "Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict," CEP Discussion Papers dp0657, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1999.
"Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 21-49.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1998. "Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 159-201.
- Giuseppe Bertola, 2010.
"Inequality, integration, and policy: issues and evidence from EMU,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 345-365, September.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 2009. "Inequality, Integration, and Policy: Issues and evidence from EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 7251, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Maldonado, Wilfredo L. & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2004.
"Inflation and Income Inequality: A Shopping-Time Aproach,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
566, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Cysne, Rubens P. & Maldonado, Wilfredo L. & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2005. "Inflation and income inequality: A shopping-time approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 516-528, December.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Ploeg, F. van der, 1992.
"Does inequality cause inflation?: The political economy of inflation, taxation and government debt,"
1992-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1996. " Does Inequality Cause Inflation?: The Political Economy of Inflation, Taxation and Government Debt," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 87(1-2), pages 143-62, April.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Van Der Ploeg, F., 1992. "Does Inequality Cause Inflation? The Political Economy of Inflation, Taxation and Government Debt," Papers 9230, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1992. "Does Inequality Cause Inflation? The Political Economy of Inflation, Taxation and Government Debt," CEPR Discussion Papers 741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Pereira, Alfredo, 1996.
"The debt crisis: lessons of the 1980s for the 1990s,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-24, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Alfredo Pereira, 1994. "The debt crisis: lessons of the 1980's for the 1990's," International Finance Discussion Papers 481, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Albanesi, Stefania, 2002.
"Inflation and Inequality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Al-Marhubi, Fahim, 1997. "A note on the link between income inequality and inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 317-319, September.
- Carlos R. Azzoni, 2001. "Economic growth and regional income inequality in Brazil," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 133-152.
- Eliana Cardoso, 1992. "Inflation and Poverty," NBER Working Papers 4006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jim Dolmas & Gregory W. Huffman & Mark A. Wynne, 2000.
"Inequality, inflation, and central bank independence,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 271-287, February.
- Jim Dolmas & Gregory W. Huffman & Mark A. Wynne, 1997. "Inequality, inflation, and central bank independence," Working Papers 9705, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2000. "A Reassessment of the Relationship between Inequality and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 869-887, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.